This job is no longer available
The role of Development Technologist within apetito’s Product Development Team is an exciting and varied position which will allow the successful candidate to contribute to sales growth through their creative approach to product development, multi-functional team working and excellent relationships with their customers.
Reporting to a Product Development Co-ordinator, on a day to day basis the Development Technologist will work on projects to develop and improve food products.
apetito aims to grow significantly in the next three years and the Development Technologist has a critical role in supporting this growth through focus on both new and existing sectors. The successful candidate will therefore have the drive with the demands of the business and the ability to produce new and innovative solutions in both product development and product improvement.
The key areas of focus include;
New Product Development in existing sectors -The successful candidate will be to use their project management, creative and commercial skills to manage innovative product development programmes , ensuring we deliver competitive advantage .
Working closely with the Development Chefs , they are responsible for managing projects from the concept stage through to factory trials. They will be able to lead cross functional teams to meet project objectives as well as having the ability to develop kitchen scale samples, determine nutritional values, cost products, and source raw materials.
Product improvement e.g. Nutrition and Quality - Due to increasing consumer awareness of nutrition , changing markets needs and legislation, nutrition is an extremely important area of focus for apetito. In addition to meeting defined nutritional needs, the successful candidate will also take responsibility for identifying and delivering product quality improvements through product re-design and raw material improvement. They will work well with the Quality and Purchasing teams to analyse where improvements can be made and deliver these, taking into account the needs of all stakeholders.
Cost reduction -Using their commercial and creative skills, the successful candidate will identify and assist in the delivery of cost reduction opportunities without compromising product quality. It will be vital that the Development Technologist demonstrates good communication and team working skills to ensure that cost reduction is carried out according to business needs.
New Business development support -Supporting in the identification, research and delivery of new products and business opportunities.
The successful candidate will be self motivated, flexible and conscientious, with good communication and team working skills. They will be tenacious and determined with the ability to drive projects forward to successful completion and will work well with others to achieve this.
This is a great opportunity for a candidate who is passionate about food and wants a successful career in Product Development and have the desire to truly make their mark on apetito’s success.
Key Result Areas:
• Deliver innovative product solutions that meet business , customer and consumer expectations and needs
• Identify & deliver product quality improvements, taking account of the needs of all stakeholders
• Effective management of the Development programmes assigned by the Product Development Co-ordinator
• Identify and deliver cost reduction opportunities – without compromising quality
• Support new market / business development initiatives
• Support the commercial teams in building customer relations and creating new business opportunities
• Degree, H.N.D. or equivalent
• Food related qualification
• Degree , H.N.D. or equivalent in a food related discipline e.g. Food science, Consumer science & food studies
• Bakery qualifications
• Experience of working within cross functional teams
• Experience of successful multi-functional project management
• Experience with frozen or chilled food manufacturing
• Sound nutrition understanding
• Understanding of the Product Development process
• Appreciation of current food legislation
• Experience of identifying and delivering costs
• Experience of preparing product costing
• Experience of supplying to retail customers
• Genuine interest in food
• Ability to influence others
• Self motivated
• Methodical / organised
• Confident – able to work with colleagues on all levels
• Genuine team player
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• First class communication skills – both written and verbal
• Drive to challenge and improve
• Motivated by achieving set goals and working within an area of real interest to them
• Able to plan short - medium term workload
• Ability to manage others when required
• Ability to take a strategic view
• Can demonstrate commercial awareness
• Good presentation skills
• Flexible and enjoys change
• Good project management skills
• Able to work under own initiative within a set of agreed parameters
• Good sensory skills
• Ability to prepare written documentation to a consistently high standard