This job is no longer available
We're the people who make top 10 UK grocery brand Kingsmill as well as Burgen, Allinson and Sunblest. You know us through our wholesome white, wholemeal and seeded breads that offer delicious options to suit every family member - and our rolls, pancakes, crumpets, muffins, hot cross buns, wraps and other delicious bakery products.
We're one of three divisions of Allied Milling and Baking, which in turn is a part of Associated British Foods (ABF) plc, a major international business with a turnover of £11.1bn and close to 102,000 employees working in 46 countries. In the UK, well-known ABF brands include: Twinings, Silver Spoon, Primark, Ryvita, Ovaltine, Patak's and Jordans Cereals.
The Packaging Specialist role is based at Kingsmill Place, Maidenhead and is responsible for supporting the design, innovation and improvement of structural (primary, secondary and tertiary) packaging initiatives for Allied Milling and Baking. This will require work directly with Marketing, Innovation, Design Agencies, Packaging Manufacturers and Printers.
• Technical management of £27m packaging spend across Allied Milling & Baking.
• Commercial responsibility for packaging spends.
• Organize and run packaging trials with suppliers, operations and logistics as appropriate, right through to approval and implementation.
• Ensure targets on cost reduction are met.
• Supporting the drive for optimal packaging costs including the total acquisition cost of the packaging.
• Maintaining an up to date view of the technical and innovative options available to Allied Milling & Baking.
• Creating and managing packaging policies, procedures and specifications.
• Develop and maintain a full understanding of the processes and technologies, used and available within Allied Milling and Baking’s supply chain.
• Lead departmental initiatives such as implementation of new packaging and design related technologies, policies, and procedures.
• Manage or support new product development project meetings as appropriate.
• Drive the continuous improvement of supplier quality.
• Responsible to ensure that new packaging physical and performance specifications are clearly defined and incorporate the requirements of all affected departments.
• Ensure that the packaging specification database is accurate and up to date.
• Maintain environmental reporting for packaging including waste reporting.
Skills and experience:
• Institute of Packaging Diploma/CIPS and packaging commercial and technical experience is desirable.
• Experience in project management is essential.
• Strong facilitation, influencing, analytical and problem solving skills are required.
• Up-to-date knowledge of packaging technology, especially films and/or flexographic printing.
• Must have a full UK driving license as extensive travel in the UK is a factor of the role.
If you're ready for a new challenge, you've come to the right place - because Allied Milling and Baking is where opportunity goes to work! If you would like to find out more information click apply now and please visit our careers web site