Knowledge Transfer Manager
Knowledge Transfer Manager
3 Posts available in Food and Industrial Biotechnology sectors within the BiosciencesKTN
Home-working or based in our offices in The Roslin Institute, Midlothian
Who we are
The BiosciencesKTN is a not-for-profit company sponsored by the Technology Strategy Board and provides business support to improve the profitability of UK companies by encouraging innovation.
ALL The Knowledge Transfer Manager’s role is to facilitate business growth and help drive knowledge transfer between the science base and industry, promote networking and stimulate innovation.
1. Work with the Food Team to understand: the technology needs of companies within the UK food sector including manufacturing, ingredient production and technology developers; the scientific capabilities of the research base for this broad industry sector and to facilitate transfer of knowledge within and between these groups.
2. Understand the range of support mechanisms available to business for Knowledge Transfer and help companies access them in an effective manner including assisting with developing funding applications.
3. Develop a strong knowledge and contact base to champion a chosen area within the team portfolio, a suitable area of focus will be chosen depending on individual scientific background, interests and capabilities.
• Work with the Industrial Bioscience team to understand the technology needs of UK Industry and the scientific capabilities of the research base, facilitating the transfer of knowledge within and between these groups and the establishment of collaborations
• Help understand and facilitate access to Knowledge Transfer support mechanisms for businesses and to help develop funding and investment applications
• Be an integral part of the Biosciences KTN Industrial Bioscience team to help catalyse new commercial opportunities across the current and future industrial biotechnology (IB) using sectors and to help increase uptake of IB into these industries
• Visit companies and research base institutions, mainly within the UK, to understand their R&D needs and innovation capabilities
• Take ownership as ‘lead contact’ with a number of the key IB Sector companies to ensure their needs from the KTN staff are met
• Assist in promoting the use of IB to the chemicals and chemistry using industries in the UK. This will include visiting companies and assisting with technical queries of how IB can help their specific business. This will involve working with colleagues in the Chemistry Innovation Knowledge Transfer Network at times
Enthusiastic, highly motivated, self-starting individual with a good understanding of commercial issues or an ability to learn on the job.
Able to work alone or as part of a team- this is particularly important if home working is considered.
Must be a good communicator with well developed written and verbal skills and equally importantly must be a good listener and able to interact with a wide variety of clients.
Flexible, reliable and adaptable with good interpersonal skills.
Sound scientific knowledge across a range of disciplines, highly numerate by preference.
Professional & Educational Requirements:
ALL Degree in an appropriate science such as biochemistry, chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, food science etc. or another discipline with relevance to the role such as business. A post-graduate qualification in similar field is also beneficial. Knowledge and experience of working in the relevant field of bioscience in the private or university sectors is required. Awareness of knowledge transfer or business development processes would be advantageous.
What we offer
Salary: In the region of £35K plus benefits
Extensive travel will be required including overnight stays
Closing Date 7th January 2013
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 15th and Wednesday 16th January.