Location: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire
Hours of Work: 42 hours, 4on 4off (Days)
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Manage the day to day activities within the Packhouse to deliver an efficient operation to ensure that customers’ orders are produced on time, safely, to the correct standard of quality and at or below budgeted cost.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Drive production lines to fulfil daily customer orders in the most cost effective way, whilst meeting their specifications, efficient packing operation and maintaining H&S requirements on a day to day basis.
- Support Senior Operations Manager with reliable and accurate information and analysis regarding departmental performance.
- Monitor and manage the daily performance of the packhouse by taking a proactive approach to improve underperforming areas through coaching, training and redeployment of skills as necessary.
- Responsible for ensuring that teams are trained in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures, Health & Safety Procedures and Product Specifications in order to ensure that standards are achieved and maintained.
- Work closely with the departmental management to implement the daily production plan in order to ensure that resources such as labour, equipment and materials are efficiently allocated and continually monitored against the plan.
- Work with colleagues to facilitate a programme of maintenance within the factory in order to ensure that equipment is maintained and complies with business and BRC standards.
- Ensure production start-up checks are carried out before production commences and production procedure checks and other checks sheets are adhered to.
- Train and motivate staff to the standard required, whilst informing management of any further training required or completed.
- Liaise with quality and technical departments to make sure all customers quality specification are met and maintained.
- Manage staff on a daily basis and address employee relations working in collaboration with HR including conducting disciplinary meetings, absence meetings and supporting all other reasonable employee requests.
- Participate in daily meetings, reporting and highlighting any areas of concern and recommendations for improvement.
- Responsible for supporting the delivery of daily, weekly and monthly KPI’s and working within budgetary controls.
- Step up to Shift Manager when Business needs to Support Operations Manager.
- Lead the production team in delivering a quality focused and efficient packing operation on a daily basis and conduct line balancing exercises against product flow and work rates.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the tasks and the role might include additional duties associated with smooth running of the department.
- Experience within a supervisory/ team leading role within Fresh Produce / Food Production / FMCG environment essential along with operating within a KPI’s driven structure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Microsoft office experience - word, excel.
- Proven experience in driving through continuous improvement activities.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent leadership skills and eexperience of leading and managing people.
- Flexible approach to work.
- Experience in a labour intensive, high volume, fast moving environment supplying retailers, probably gained within the Food, Fresh Produce or Horticultural sectors.
- Experience of operating packing machinery would be an advantage.
- An approachable individual, willing to listen and actively encourage subordinates to contribute to the success of the team.
- Personally driven to succeed with a can do approach.
- Experience with Rubicon ERP systems.
- Lean manufacturing implementations.
To apply for this role please click the apply button.