Whey Process Operator
Whey Process Operator
Reporting to: Whey Team Leader
Based at: Davidstow
Shift Pattern: 3 on 3 off, days & Nights / 7 to 7 including weekends and Bank Holidays.
Dairy Crest is in a very exciting period of growth focussing on investment and development of our existing strong brands including Cathedral City, Country Life and Clover and the manufacturing of Demineralised Whey and Galacto-oligosaccharide (GOS).
Our Davidstow site has recently completed a refurbishment and expansion with investment of over £80 million and produces 55k tonnes of cheese, 23k tonnes of Demineralised whey powder and 6k tonnes of GOS and employing approximately 100 employees on a 365/24 site.
We are now looking for a Whey Process Operator to be part of the whey shift operations team on a permanent basis, working in the separation, demineralisation, evaporation, drying bagging and butter areas. Training will be provided to the right candidate.
Purpose of Job:
- The primary role is to be part of the Whey Operations Team manufacturing, packing and dispatching demineralized whey powder or manufacturing GOS liquids. You will be expected to ensure product is manufactured in accordance with a manufacturing plan and to the D90 – GOS manufacturing specification as issued by the Whey and GOS Operations Manager. Operators are expected to demonstrate a high standard of commitment to customer quality and to be capable of running automated manufacturing processes to meet the Davidstow site business objectives
Nature & Scope of Job:
- Demineralized whey powder is used by the customer as an ingredient for infant food and therefore has to be manufactured under very strict GMP standards. The specifications also demand a high degree of process control.
- The Whey Process Operator is part of the team working in the separation, demineralization, evaporation, drying bagging (days), GOS manufacture areas, depending on skills and experience. Cross training will be part of the individual’s development.
- The Whey Process Operator will under the guidance of the Team Shift Manager support the delivery of the production plan and manufacturing product in accordance with the relevant SOPs, product specifications and procedures
- The Whey Process Operator will work the process to agreed standards and if the process deviates from the norm, escalate the issue to the Team Shift Manager (1st call) or other support functions e.g. Technical or Eng Team leader to maintain process efficiency. They will also demonstrate the ability to use problem solving tools and technical knowledge to support their own process. A high standard of commitment to process stability and customer quality is expected
- Operation of a process plant component to the required quality and process standards.
- To implement the production plan and monitor compliance against the plan, taking the appropriate corrective action where necessary (eg liaise with engineering, escalate).
- Monitor compliance to GMP/H&S standards, SOPs and procedures.
- Completion of all required paperwork to the agreed standard consistently and accurately.
- Implement corrective action or escalate issues when processes deviate from the norm (inc the WWTP alarms at night).
- Ensure process deviations are reported as required, using the correct procedures / documentation.
- Root cause analysis or similar problem solving tools as directed.
- Ensure the required samples are taken for the testing by the technical department
- Participation in Plant DMS processes
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- A good technical understanding of whey processing if an internal candidate.
- If an external candidate then an ability to learn the technical aspects of whey processing is expected.
- Demonstrable understanding and willingness to comply with all food safety standards, GMP and Health and Safety consistent with working in a world class food manufacturing environment.
- A passion for and an enthusiasm to be part of a high performing team.
- A high level of personal integrity and desire for personal development.
To apply for this role please send a current CV and covering letter to the Recruitment Team via e-mail to email@example.com. Please ensure that you quote the reference number 6501 when submitting your application for this role.
The closing date for this role is: 9th June 2017. Any applications received after this date may not be processed.
Agencies - Thank you for your interest in working with Dairy Crest however we have a PSL who will be supporting us if needed.
We do not pay fees or acknowledge any CV's supplied to Dairy Crest unless you have been briefed on the role by a member of the Resourcing Team.