Operations Manager / Director
Part of the Flying Trade Group, Surya Foods is one of the largest suppliers of authentic world foods to the UK food sector. Its unrivalled, extensive world food ranges has seen it become the biggest supplier of world food lines into supermarket giants Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons, with extensive independent retail accounts across the UK. Surya owns three rice brands listed in the UK top ten according to 2014 Nielsen data. (Laila, Salaam & Apna).
With over 2,000 products available, Surya represents over 50 agency lines from some of the world’s leading companies as well as its own popular house-brands, including Laila, Salaam, Apna, Jamaica’s Pride and Island Sun.
We are recruiting, on a permanent basis, for an Operations Manager / Director.
Reporting to the Managing Director you will be responsible for the daily operation of employees and equipment across the Harwich site and liaise on a regular basis with the Production, Warehouse, Logistics, Quality, Sales and Marketing Teams. You will also have responsibility for other sites within the group.
Championing the highest standards of Health & Safety to protect employees and property, managing bespoke projects and planning for continued growth are part and parcel of this key role combined with cost centre management and the delivery of KPI’s and Service levels.
If you are able to evidence the ability to deal with a complexity of products, lead, manage and develop employees to a high standard, have strong planning and organisational skills ideally from an fmcg background this could be the role for you
If you want to join us on the journey, and have the dedication to take us to the next level, we would love to hear from you.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the daily operation of employees and equipment across the site.
- Oversee production and implement production best practice.
- Oversee the warehousing and logistics operations and equipment across the site.
- Deliver expected KPI’s and service levels.
- Continuous review of the operation to ensure lean manufacturing & logistics.
- Plan for growth to ensure sufficient capacity ahead of demand, maximising flexibility and minimising operational costs.
- Meet customer requirements.
- Effective communicator with direct teams i.e. production, logistics, warehousing and quality and with external stakeholders.
- Project management – manage & support projects which affect the departments directly and indirectly, ensuring timelines and budgets are met.
- Strive for business improvements and cost reduction initiatives.
- Ensure daily / weekly workload planning and volume forecasting routines are accomplished.
- Investigate and resolve any issues that arise.
- Recruitment of effective staff.
- Support staff development and training.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Demonstrable track record in senior leadership and accountability within a production, warehousing and logistics role.
- A confident leader and decision maker, able to articulate and deliver the operational vision.
- Used to managing a large food production operation implementing best practice and lean manufacturing.
- Excellent stock control and warehousing knowledge familiar with planning optimal stock flow and layouts within the warehouse across goods in, put away, pick, pack, vehicle loading and despatch within a busy, fast paced environment.
- Knowledge of fleet optimisation and fleet compliance.
- Experience of working towards KPI’s and embedding these within an operation to drive performance, add value and improve profitability.
- Experienced in presenting MI and business improvement initiatives to the board.
- Experience of BRC & FEMAS.
- Experience of dealing with government bodies including Trading Standards.
- Ability to work as part of a team with colleagues across professional, operational and cultural boundaries.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to handle a number of tasks at once and meeting deadlines as required.
- Experience of working with large retailers and a demanding customer base.