Summary Job Description
The production manager is responsible for the programming and execution of production within the smokehouse premises for the building of stock building and production of outstanding order as directed by senior management. The factory is run along the principles of HACCP and to the accreditation standards of SALSA( part of the BRC group accreditation system) and it is the responsibility of the production manager to follow, maintain and be part of the development of this system.
The management of production includes –
- The effective time and skills management of a small team of fish processors,
- The control and ordering of all raw materials and consumables associated with production,
- Produce accurate and timely record keeping of processes as part of the business HACCP system,
- Be an active participant of the HACCP committee and being available to liaise with local Environmental Health Officers,
- To work with auditors from SALSA or any third party auditor recognised by the company as well as ad-hoc consultants employed by the company.
- Work with other management on order fulfilment at peak times in the co-ordination of re-deployed staff preparing goods for Christmas mail-order dispatch.
- Playing an active part in the production team including the filleting, trimming, smoking and the post-smoke processing of salmon.
Qualifications and experience required
It would be advantageous for the applicant to have experience working in the fish sector especially the smoking industry. The applicant should have experience of managing other people within the food production industry and be a least the holder of Intermediate level food hygiene certification, or equivalent. The applicant must be familiar with the principals and practice of HACCP and working knowledge of QC would be advantageous.
The applicant needs to demonstrate a solid history of practical problem solving ability with an appropriate job history, references or formal qualification in the field of food science or manufacture.
A full, clean driving licence is required for this post as expected working routines fall outside the scope of available public transport.
The successful candidate will enjoy working in a small business that is growing internationally and will want to be part of this growth by maintaining the existing high standards as well as playing an active part in future product development. The role demands a flexible, professional, can-do attitude and the management skills to take the production team with them as the business grows.
Location and Accommodation.
The business and this appointment are located in the Outer Hebrides. This situation is either an attraction or the opposite as living as part of a small community in a remote location can be challenging as well as extremely rewarding. Transport links include inter-island ferries, air travel to Glasgow and long drives to major cities from island to mainland ferry routes.
We have secured rentable property from a local housing association for this post comprising unfurnished single bedroom house within 3 miles of the smokehouse.
Starting salary is £23 – 28K depending on experience.