Head of Quality and Food Safety for branded food business
A fantastic opportunity to move into a senior level role supporting many areas of strategic development in a dynamic, branded, food business.
A market leading branded food business that has been experiencing a sustained period of impressive sales growth. They have a strong presence in the UK market and, more recently, have been successfully developing a significant global proposition.
This is a key leadership role at the heart of the business and the requirement is to find a high performing candidate who will also be a great fit with the positive and engaging company culture.
The role is based at the company HQ in North Yorkshire and will require occasional travel to manufacturing sites and external manufacturers both in the UK and overseas
- Location: Based in Yorkshire
- Salary: Target salary of £70-80,000 plus package
The Head of Quality & Food Safety will create, implement and maintain world class end-to-end quality assurance/control and food safety systems, thereby promoting the business and also protecting consumers and brands.
The position is responsible for creating and driving all quality related initiatives throughout the business, including, but not limited to:
- Quality Systems
- Product Quality Programmes
- Quality Assurance Programmes
- Manufacturing Quality Programmes
- Continuous Improvement Programmes
The role requires an in-depth understanding and proactive involvement in each step of product development and supply chain, demonstrating the technical knowledge and critical thinking abilities to enhance the quality of the finished goods and to prevent or eliminate the potential for food safety issues
The position will also be accountable for ensuring appropriate quality standards are consistently achieved by suppliers, vendors and service providers through quality programmes along with quality management oversight.
- Create the vision for quality and food safety within the organisation that supports the company’s Total Quality & Food Safety mission and goals.
- Develop and execute strategic and tactical quality plans to ensure the company growth plans are achieved in a compliant manner.
- Provide internal consultation for all quality and food safety related matters within the organisation.
- Develop and report appropriate metrics that monitor the health and cost of quality. Ensure metrics are visible at all levels within the organisation and that suitable corrective and preventative actions are implemented to address shortfalls.
- Implement a Quality Management review process to ensure senior management is actively involved in managing quality within the company.
- Develop and implement thorough supplier quality management programmes including processes for evaluating and qualifying new suppliers, as well as auditing and maintaining existing suppliers.
- Effectively builds organisational capability and capacity necessary to achieve organisational goals and functional objectives, including recruiting and developing talent of high technical and leadership calibre. Coaches team members on specific performance and development issues.
- Identify best practices in food safety and quality management systems; prepare, communicate and educate internal and external stakeholders on changes in policies and practices within the organisation.
- Provide guidance and assistance to internal and external manufacturing partners to establish all quality programs, checks and analytical.
- Lead the food recall and crisis management processes.
- Expert understanding of plant production processes/systems, FSMA, SQF, GMP, HACCP, plant sanitation, plant personnel safety systems and regulations.
- Maintains and strengthens company relationships with consumers via consumer complaint monitoring, investigation, responses and improvement programmes.
- Conduct intersite QA Management meetings monthly and reporting trends, issues, capabilities, audit updates, projects, status reports and capabilities based on the QA Management monthly report completed by each QA site lead.
- 5-10 years’ experience within a food quality and safety roles.
- 2+ years in a corporate management position holding responsibility for quality management and initiatives.
- Experience in building strong quality management teams and systems. Determining the staffing needs of each QA site department and align with Operations that staffing is adequate to meet QA objectives.
- BSc or PhD in Food Science and Technology, Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Food Processing, Environmental Engineering or other relevant degree.
- Strong knowledge of GFSI standards, SQF Practitioner or equivalent certificates preferred.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Excellent analytical skills, strong attention to detail, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage a multi-disciplinary team, including food quality assurance / control, food safety and compliance in a growing corporate and manufacturing environment with focus on continuous improvement.
- Experience in expanding quality operations from start-up to significant scale both in the UK and overseas.
- Track record of building and leading corporate quality and food safety teams.
- Working experience of relevant laboratory practices.
- Ability to handle and lead multiple projects at any given time in a team environment.
- Experience in working with and providing quality oversight to suppliers, 3rd party manufacturing suppliers and service providers.
- A natural communicator, someone who can share ideas and build rapport with other individuals, departments and vendors.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss in more detail
More jobs like this
- Food Manufacturing Environmental jobs in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Food Manufacturing Health & Safety jobs in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Food Manufacturing Hygiene jobs in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Food Manufacturing Other Job Function jobs in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Food Manufacturing Production jobs in Yorkshire and the Humber