Process Development Manager
Process Development Manager
Company: ZERO2FIVE, Food Industry Centre. Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Initially a 2 year contract, with the potential to be extended.
We are a leading UK Food Centre seeking a highly motivated professional, with a proven ‘track record’ who can drive process optimisation and waste reduction for our food and drink manufacturing clients in Wales. The role sits within the Technical team and you will interface with the whole food supply chain across all product categories. You will work proactively with industry partners on a ‘project by project’ basis to deliver continuous improvement in all aspects of food and drink manufacturing. You will work closely with colleagues, academics and stakeholders to ensure you provide the knowledge and expertise to develop and realise best practice in this function.
The role requires the candidate to be:
- Responsible for the identification and delivery of new commercial opportunities for the FIC in partnership with the Technical Director and FIC
- Responsible for the delivery of commercial solutions concerning process development projects to ensure process optimization, waste reduction and continuous improvement and offer expertise and best practice to SME’s.
- Attend and lead meetings, present at conferences and exhibitions as appropriate to promote FIC activity and effectively disseminate technical information.
- Network and develop partnerships with engineers, construction specialists machinery and packaging suppliers and Government bodies at board level representing the FIC & Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Responsible for the collaboration with private sector and public sector bodies to develop a world class process development service
- Responsible for the initiation and definition of private and public sector process development projects, interfacing with directors and senior managers to define project outcomes.
- Apply ‘best in class’ project research, management and implementation methods as required to effectively complete the bespoke projects.
Lead and manage all process development activities, which will include ::
Process & product design,
Process optimization & lean manufacturing
- Responsible for attending company premises to identify process development needs ,and scope the projects and define an action plan for implementation
- Responsible for defining and writing knowledge transfer programmes for approval by Technical Manager for delivery in SMEs
- Responsible for managing and mentoring of the Process Assistant and knowledge transfer affiliates in industry.
- Support the business development and dissemination activities of the FIC at national and international trade events, meetings and conferences etc. as appropriate
- This post will require the ability and willingness to travel to factory settings throughout Wales and beyond as required
The successful candidate will need to hold:
- A Degree in an appropriate, relevant science discipline (2:2 or above) (e.g. Food Science Food Technology, Food Engineering) or equivalent.
- HACCP Level 3
- Food safety in Manufacturing level 3
The candidate will need to demonstrate:
- Working knowledge of process development systems and processes in manufacturing to include appropriate validation techniques
- Working knowledge of process technology and application within food systems
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing methods and their application
- Microbiological criteria of foodstuffs and product safety characterisation.
- Working knowledge of food processing sector in at least 3 product categories (e.g. Bakery , dairy and meat)
- Working knowledge of retail/wholesale sectors standards and requirements
- Working knowledge of development and implementation of HACCP
- Process Development, Factory & process design and process optimisation in the European food manufacturing sector
- Experience of initiating, establishing and leading new technical projects and teams and managing its growth
- Willingness to continually develop own knowledge and skills
- Flexibility to travel to clients, conferences and meetings globally as required
If you are interested in the role, please apply by completion and submission of an application form, via the Cardiff Met website where you will find the full Job description and Person specification: