1. Purpose of the role:
To provide Technical Leadership and Technical Services to the Site Manufacturing operation to ensure that all finished goods fully comply with all Customer and Business Policies, Procedures, Product Standards, Manufacturing Specifications and Quality Management system. To maintain the Quality Management system and implement group requirement supported by effective process control. To manage the daily running of the Quality Department and personnel, overseeing food safety, quality and hygiene requirements within all areas of the site.
2. Job Holder needs to do:
Responsibility for leading section and smooth running of the role
- Managing technical team and ensure team work to agreed timescales
- Maintain and manage Quality Management and HACCP systems
- Maintain full auditing system.
- Ensure actions as the results of audits/findings are driven to completion by the site teams
- Ensure all specifications completed to timescales
- Monitor and ensure all quality testing systems are in place and maintained
- Ensure Hold, Withdrawal, Quarantine & Recall Procedure in place and effective
- Manage Process Control Support – on line process control eg testing/measuring equipment
- Manage Pest Control Contractor and site activities to achieve desired standard
- Sensory Panels (local/company/customer/ in-house)
- Liaise with Group Technical on issues including quality, complaints & all food safety and quality related issues
- Drive continuous improvement throughout all aspects of the site manufacturing operation
- Review performance of direct reports against standards and objectives
- Facilitate staff development through external and internal courses/mentoring etc.
Quality Data Auditing and Analysis
- Responsible for monitoring outputs, trends and taking action/prompting management for action, as appropriate
- To be responsible for monitoring and reporting on compliance to process management disciplines by means of observation, audit, analysis of data, particularly at identified Critical Control Points for Quality
To ensure Good Manufacturing practices are implemented at site
Consumer Complaint Reduction
- Take ownership of consumer complaints including:- Investigation of all Complaints as required by consumer services or customers
- Deliver actions to reduce complaints where appropriate
- Summarise and analysis of trends to identify causes
- Take ownership for Quality incidents (reporting, root cause determination, action plan ownership)
- Lead site Quality improvement plans
- Ensure that raw materials are fit for purpose by using group vendor assurance processes, raw material specifications, documented records and intake processes
- Ensure that appropriate quality checks are carried out on raw materials and packaging
- Responsibility to ensure that any Raw Materials or Packaging which is of suspect quality, is correctly documented to facilitate investigation by others
To ensure that all documents needed for communicating the Manufacturing Specifications and Product Standards are accurate, properly maintained and implemented in a timely manner
3. Job Holder needs to know:
Understanding of the supply chain, specific customer requirements, basic food testing methods, food safety issues, labelling, weights and measures, COSHH, HACCP, BRC and Pest Control
Degree, HND or similar in a Food or Science related subject. Advanced Food Hygiene, Lead Auditor and level 4 HACCP would be an advantage. Basic Health and Safety is Mandatory
4. Job Holder needs to have experience of:
Five years experience in a Quality Management in Food role.
Experience of direct Supply to major retailers – One or more of Tesco, Asda, Waitrose, M&S, Sainsburys
5. Job Holder needs to be (skills and behaviours):
– PC literate, auditing, advanced food hygiene, basic health and safety, COSHH, HACCP,
Effective communication skills
6. Key Facts about the role:
Reports to the Site General Manager
Direct reports – Quality Manager and Specifications coordinator.
External contacts include Retailers, food service businesses, contract companies, suppliers and government bodies.
Internal contacts include Group Technical, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, Technical at other sites and all on-site departments.
Lead by example with regard to adherence to all Company policy including Health & Safety, quality, personal protective equipment and hygiene, taking a pro-active approach in driving them forward.
Maintain a good timekeeping and attendance record as well as a satisfactory record of performance and conduct.
Carry out any other reasonable tasks from time to time as instructed in order to achieve the overall Company objectives, including flexible working.