QA and Intake Manager
4 days left
- Contract Type
QA and Intake Manager
c£30,000 - £35,000 DOE Plus Benefits
We’re mad about organic veg. It’s at the core of everything we do. We love to grow it, pack it into boxes and deliver it to customers’ doorsteps around the UK. This takes a lot of brilliant people, with a range of skills and knowledge.
Riverford began in 1986, with a few acres of veg, a wheelbarrow and a beaten up 2CV for deliveries. We’ve grown into a successful e-commerce business, with four farms, three packhouses, a fleet of vans and drivers, a wholesalers, butchery, organic restaurant and pub. We employ people across many areas including IT, Logistics, Sales, HR, Finance and Marketing (and more besides).
Our culture and values set us apart from other businesses. Riverford is a friendly, informal place to work, with a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit. We’re committed to providing a fair deal for growers, customers and staff.
What you’ll be doing
Riverford is a complex food business; we sell a diverse range of products, all of which are organic. Our core offering has always been organic fruit and veg but as the business has grown, we now offer other products including meat, dairy and baked goods.
Day-to-day you will be responsible for ensuring all the goods we receive match our Riverford specifications. You’ll provide daily feedback for our growers and suppliers outlining areas to improve or sometimes just acknowledging a job well done.
Strong internal relationships will be key as you will need to work with procurement, updating them on the quality of incoming goods coming from growers as well as providing concise instructions to the production team as to what to look for and how to handle and grade the produce.
Your produce knowledge will give you the confidence to set standards, not only within your own team, but also with the wider business and amongst our growers and suppliers.
You will be managing a team covering QC and Goods In and will need to carefully manage the seven-day rota, ensuring there is sufficient cover to cope with expected deliveries. This will be your area to develop and create into a high performing area of the business coaching your team and helping them to develop specialist knowledge in fresh produce.
- Ensure quality control has a packhouse-wide focus and presence, with monitoring at Goods-In, storage, during packing and at the point of dispatch. Quality issues must be communicated effectively with other internal departments to ensure they have sufficient information to undertake necessary remedial actions.
- Working within our quality management system, you will need to manage and maintain the system at a local level this will include; fridge environment checks, food safety system, knife records, glass records, cleaning records etc. You will head up the SA audit and several internal and external audits. You will also be required to undertake a level of team training within the packhouse and be a clear leader for quality with your team across the site
- Ensure all deliveries are assessed for organic status, booked in accurately on the company’s purchase system and moved promptly to the correct storage environment and that appropriate actions are undertaken with regards to sampling or continuous assessment.
- Working with the stock controller and procurement managers to ensure stock is rotated correctly and product is continually monitored to ensure it is in the best condition prior to packing.
- Communicate with growers to ensure that quality of incoming produce is maintained, any potential claims are highlighted immediately and all final claims are notified to the supplier and recorded on our computer system and ensure crates and IFCO crates are controlled.
- Produce the weekly staff rota, control timekeeping and absence issues and co-ordinate holiday bookings for the QC Team
- To remain competitive, it is important we are responsive and react quickly. Things will constantly change and it is essential that you are flexible and understand that the above list is a guideline and that you will be expected to expand on this list, use your initiative, challenge the status quo and come up with ideas on how things can be done better or more effectively.
- Assist in other areas of the business as required and when needed.
Skills & experience
- Fresh produce experience is essential along with a demonstrable passion for fruit and veg
- Can demonstrate previous QC/QA experience
- Formal qualifications in a relevant discipline e.g. Food Science or Food Technology would be desirable
- Ideally previous line management of a team or department
Riverford is a beautiful place to work, with lots of great people – and other benefits too. We offer 31 days’ holiday (including bank holidays), a generous company pension scheme and an annual profit share. We love food and hope you do too, so we give staff 25% off everything we sell on our website; heavily discounted organic breakfasts and lunches in the staff canteen; and free organic fruit and veg. There are also many social events for staff, with two big parties a year.
To apply for the role of QA and Intake Manager, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: QA and Intake Manager, Fresh Product Quality Manager, Food Quality Manager, Goods In and Quality Manager, Goods In Manager, Quality Manager, Quality Control Manager.
Working hours: 40 hours per week, 5 out of 7 days, including at least one weekend day