Product Development Manager
Our client is a food manufacturer who supplies their well-known products throughout the UK and Internationally.
They are seeking a New Product Development Manager to provide professional technological management service for a comprehensive range of existing and new products in process development programmes central to the ongoing direction and success of their company.
- Ensure that all technical documentation is kept up to date, accurate and “audit ready” at all times.
- Ensure all PD Department activities relating to NPD, EPD and process improvement projects are delivered to agreed timelines.
- Develop, review and report PD KPIs; identify and implement improvements to reduce development leadtimes and increase “1st production success rates”.
- Develop new products which are safe, legal and good quality from concept stage through full factory scale on line production to delivery to the customer/consumer.
- Work closely with sales and marketing to develop and interpret new product briefs and initiate costings.
- Investigate effect of new/alternative raw materials, packaging and processes to achieve improvement of product quality and/or cost reduction.
- Manage the “Trials Process” to ensure that each trial achieves its objective with the minimum disruption to Production.
- Provide expert comment and guidance to Senior Management on legislative aspects of products, materials and their packaging.
- Provide expert comment and response to T.S.O. and E.H.O. and other regulatory bodies.
- Preparation of technical detail for product specification (i.e. recipe, size, quality and packaging etc).
- Provide all necessary new product development samples as required to meet, tasting, photographic, stability and promotional demand.
- Be a member of the HACCP Team.
- Establish shelf life of company products.
- Provide troubleshooting support to Production to resolve production issues
- Manage departmental budget
- Regularly attend relevant conferences and seminars, and maintain close links with suppliers, to keep abreast of food trends, ingredient and packaging developments.
- Maintain awareness of all relevant UK legislation, food safety issues, legislative, technical and scientific developments and industry codes of practice. Be aware of key international market requirements.
- Degree or post graduate qualification in food science or food technology (or similar).
- Team management experience.
- Potential to progress knowledge into broader operations/quality roles
- Commercial awareness in terms of ingredients, quantities and packaging
- Innovative and creative approach to work
- Ability to work well using own initiative
- Organisational and time management skills
- Good administrative skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Business Awareness
- Conceptual thinking
- Customer focus
- Analytical thinking
- Impact & influence/interpersonal skills
- Team working/collaborative work style
- Team leadership
- Manages performance
- Develops others
What’s on offer?
- A competitive salary
- Defined contribution pension
- Life assurance
- Monday to Friday 39.5 hours per week
If you are interested in this position then please forward a copy of your most up to date CV to Simon Norris.