Quality Assurance & Hygiene Manager
Our client is a large UK manufacturer of branded and own-label chilled food products, with annual revenues in excess of £500m and seven sites across the UK. The company is a progressive and forward looking organisation which places high value on people development and progression. The business has experienced a period of sustained growth and make some of the UK`s most recognisable food products.
As a key member of the management team, this role requires the successful individual to manage the QA & Hygiene Team, ensuring continual focus on quality and hygiene. They are embarking on an exciting period as they look to introduce a new product to the market place. Supported by an exceptional QA team, there will a requirement to continually look to grow and expand both the team and capabilities within it. You will champion the hygiene and quality agenda, advising site management on compliance and the implications of legislation, 'Codes of Practice' and GMP standards.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Reporting to the site Technical Manager and as a key member of the technical team, supporting the production of products that are safe and meet the quality standards expected of this leading UK manufacturer;
- Ensure that site quality management systems are fit for purpose;
- Develop and carry out necessary audit programs to monitor compliance, identify areas for improvement, and ensure on-time action closure, liaising with site management as required;
- Where non conformances are identified, working with operations, engineering and other members of the technical team to identify root cause and corrective actions. Implement, monitor and report on corrective action effectiveness;
- The successful individual will need to foster strong working relationships with operations and engineering management teams as well as within the technical team;
- Support the development of the quality assurance team, carry out performance reviews and identify learning needs;
- Support and actively promote the site technical strategy, objectives and continuous improvement within the framework of the company;
- Support the Technical manager in facilitating customer and 3rd party audits and interact with local enforcement bodies (EHO, TSO).
Knowledge and experience required:
- A Degree in Food Science or significant experience within a food technical team;
- Microbiology qualification;
- Formal HACCP and Food Hygiene training at a higher level;
- A thorough understanding of Quality Management Systems including ISO22000, ISO14000, BRC;
- An understanding of current food legislation specifically within high risk areas;
- The ability to communicate, both verbally and written, at all levels of the organisation
- The ability to influence and deliver change;
- Be able to use and apply statistical techniques;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Naturally inquisitive and able to ask insightful questions.