Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne, GB, NE12 8DW
Company: Greggs Plc
This is a full time and permanent position based at our Product Development Site in Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Join the Family
We believe in growing together – as a united team and working towards the achievement of our vision which is to be a winning brand in the food-on-the-go market. Greggs is a much loved and trusted brand with a strong traditional bakery heritage. Our people are what makes our business successful.
We aim to provide our people with a great place to work, where they feel valued by listening, developing and rewarding them.
£25,000 to £30,000 per annum, depending on experience.
Mainly dayshift Monday to Friday but as a busy 24/7 retail operation some flexibility may be required.
Greggs vision is to be the number one Food On The Go retailer. Great tasting products that delight customers is crifical to delivering this vision. We are recruiting a Product Developer to define, develop and deliver exceptional product ranges in line with the category plan. We are looking for passionate, organised and competetent Foodies, able to deliver complex and innovative "Food On The Go" ranges as part of a cross functional team.
- Developing and deliverying great tasting products of exceptional quality, that delight Greggs customers and deliver incremental customer transactions, sales and profit as defined by the category plan
- Developing and deliverying new products and product upgrades that are Greggs Brand compliant, meeting Nutritional, clean label and sourcing policies
- Defining and articulating the detailed product brief within the category plan, specifying the quality attributes, product format, taste and sensory characteristics
- Agreeing benchmark product and finished product quality standards
- Taking full responsbiility for the creation of product composition specifications that define the quality attributes, ingredients and recipes for all product development, upgrading or engineering projects
- Developing and deliverying products that are operationally efficient for Greggs Bakeries and Retail, whilst also offering consistent quality for the Greggs customer
- Carrying out required sensory evaluations to validate product attributes and setting organoleptic and quality standards for all development
- Working collaboratively across commercial, marketing, retail and supply chain teams, as well as external product or ingredient suppliers, to deliver customer centric, quality products
- Planning and executing food events to showcase Greggs products to colleagues or customers
- Food industry/retail development experience
- Proven track record of innovation and creative food preparation skills
- Developed sensory and organoleptic skills
- Excellent organisation skils with strong attention to detail
- Influential ability to work cross functionally and collaboratively
- Understanding of food science, recipe formulation and the role of ingredients
- Strong commercial acumen
- Highly numerate with an abiltiy to calculate nutritional values and adhere to food policy
- An ability to interpret data and customer insight
- Fully conversant with all MS Packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Strong time management and planning skills with an ability to juggle and prioritise multiple projects simultaneously
- Inspirational and confident communicator
- Food related degree/qualifcation
- Food sensory training/experience is desirable
- Our Greggs Employee discount Scheme is very generous, offering you up to 50% off our food
- Your holiday entitlement starts with 26 days, in addition to Bank Holidays, which increases with service up to a maximum of 30 days after 25 years’ service (pro-rata for part time)
- After 6 months service you may be eligible for our profit share scheme
- You will be invited to participate in our Management Bonus Scheme which is worth up to 7.5% of your salary, subject to the Company meeting certain performance criteria.
- You will automatically join our Greggs pension scheme which is a fantastic way to save for your retirement and allows you to benefit from employer contributions and tax advantages
- Defined contribution management pension scheme
- Death in service benefit which provides a lump-sum payment equal to 4 times your year’s salary
Other benefits include
- Private Medical Insurance which is free for you and subsidised for your dependants
- Permanent Health Insurance which is a replacement income scheme
- Share Save and Share Incentive Schemes
- Childcare Vouchers
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
During the application process we’ll keep in touch every step of the way. We know how big a decision it is for you to apply for a job. Once you do we’ll work hard to keep you up to speed on how your application is progressing. With your help we can make your application as quick and as smooth as possible.