Job Description – Shift Manager
Reporting to: Factory Manager
Production Supervisors, Machine Operators, Production Operators, Production Finishers, Hygiene Operators and Total Quality Assurance
Overall Purpose of the Role:
To be responsible for the operation of an assigned area in terms of production, quality, cost, delivery, technical, safety, and human resources, whilst striving to achieve defined goals. Manage all aspects of the shift through collaborative working with others for delivering, and where possible, exceeding, the key performance indicators within the operation. Strive to continually improve to reduce costs, improve production and quality.
General and Task Management
- Lead by example, ensuring a safe and efficient work place is maintained at all times
- Achieve the required company quality standards ensuring both internal and external customer satisfaction
- Liaise and coordinate with support functions to progress issues concerning production planning and resource/skill allocation to ensure delivery of products to schedule within all relevant quality specifications
- Communicate with the teams delivering shift briefs with focus on quality, cost and delivery and gathering ideas for improvement
- Undertake performance management by giving direction to aid good performance
- Ensure that non-conformance is challenged and counter-measures are agreed and implemented
- Lead and motivate the team to create a high performance culture where improvement suggestions are embraced
- Strive to exceed the Company targets in productivity, efficiency and quality on a continuous basis
- Manage the implementation of engineering changes and production trials
- Report and act upon plant or machinery breakdowns to maintenance technicians
- Contribute in the improvement of working procedures by constantly looking for solutions to ensure the best productivity results ensuring compliance with procedures, operating instructions and work instructions
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
- Responsibility for ensuring that products comply with JLM Global Foods’ quality and Food Safety system, understanding the HACCAP system operated within the Company and the principles therein and understand the food safety risks and the controls in place to minimise these risks.
- Responsibility for making on line product hold/product recall decisions in a timely fashion along with the QA department in relation to product quality, defective materials and environmental factors, ensuring Quality Control procedures are fully implemented and that the importance of quality is communicated to all staff on the shift.
- Responsibility for ensuring that the ‘Clean As You Go’ and GMP policies are being followed at all times. The Shift Manager is responsible for ensuring that the Cleaning Schedules are followed properly and that cleaning is of a consistent and high standard.
- Responsibility for ensuring that standards of operation comply with the requirements of our Customer Codes of Practice and the protocols laid down by third party Auditors.
- Attending weekly operations meetings
- Manage staff effectively to motivate and support them.
- Manage time and attendance within Company procedures to ensure maximum attendance levels
- Deal with all personnel issues on shift
- Responsible for training of operators and documenting training to ensure high standards are maintained
- Carry out incident, accident and non-conformity investigations and associated reporting.
- Motivate and coach the team to operational success
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviours expected of them
- Provide product expertise within the team and respond to operator queries
- Work positively with support functions to fully define the processes/procedures/controls relevant to team activities. Provide support and input to continuous improvement activities within the team
- Interface with Production Scheduling to determine schedules for shift production
- Liaise and communicate with other departments
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to sustain and develop team working and team based problem solving
- Possess the ability to lead and motivate a team of people to succeed including leading by example
- Ability to build effective relationships with work colleagues
- Able to achieve results by setting high standards and committing to clear objectives
- Adaptable to change and varying situations
- Ability to show resilience with a flexible approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong people and performance management skills
- Computer literate
- Full understanding of customer expectations and deliverables with an awareness of the impact of failure/cost of poor quality.
- Significant work experience in a high volume food manufacturing environment
- Full understanding of design and production costs to include waste, downtime, scrap and re-work
- Ability to work calmly whilst under pressure.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Ability and willingness to undertake training as part of his / her own role.
- Ability to work overtime at short notice.
- Work as part of a team and able to cover other requirements as necessary.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter by clicking the apply button below.
Deadline – 27th October 2018