Food Purchasing Manager
Join the Family
We believe in growing together – as a united team and working towards the achievement of our vision which is to be a winning brand in the food-on-the-go market. Greggs is a much loved and trusted brand with a strong traditional bakery heritage. Our people are what makes our business successful.
We aim to provide our people with a great place to work, where they feel valued by listening, developing and rewarding them.
Competitive - depending on experience
The hours of work are mainly dayshift Monday to Friday but we are a fast-paced retailer operating 24 hours over 7 days a week so some flexibility is required.
Our Procurement team based in Newcastle have a Vision of World Class Procurement. They responsibly source £250 million of food both as Ingredients for our Manufacturing facilities and for direct sale within our circa 1800 shops and are committed to continuously delivering optimum value. The successful candidate will need to be able to build effective relationships with both suppliers and internal stakeholders, ensuring that the appropriate quality and quantity of raw material is available, when and where required. Using our E Procurement platform as a framework they will be experienced negotiators while being able to embrace continuous improvement and have a good grasp of ethical considerations.
- Negotiating Commercial and Contractual terms for Food ingredients
- Obtaining value for money ensuring that key research, monitoring and evaluation is completed to ensure value is maintained
- Developing key relationships with suppliers to ensure the plc receives commercially attractive terms ahead of the market average
- Managing and resolving day to day issues with suppliers in a timely and effective manner
- Taking ownership for, and driving, cost saving initiatives throughout the business in key areas of responsibility
- Identifying and negotiating appropriate specifications and SLAs for all food supplied
- Adhere, support and contribute to our Responsible Sourcing processes and goals
- Reviewing processes and standards to maintain customer focus and ensuring best practice is achieved
- Maintaining good relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, including suppliers
- Ability to demonstrate experience of negotiation
- Ability to research key cost drivers and ensure that procurement of items that are affected are undertaken accordingly
- Interest in food and an understanding of the role of ingredients / products in manufacturing and retailing
- Experience of E-Procurement systems and best practice (preferable)
- Ability to demonstrate a capability to liaise with internal and external contacts at all levels and to effectively ensure stakeholder engagement
- Experience of supplier relationship management including the analysis and interpretation of MI, performance reporting and issue resolution
- Highly numerate and literate with strong analytical skills
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and ideally Ariba, and SAP
- Outstanding planning and organising skills with experience of dealing with multiple tasks simultaneously in a FMCG environment
- A can-do attitude and flexibility to working hours is required
- Our Greggs Employee discount Scheme is very generous, offering you up to 50% off our food
- Your holiday entitlement starts with 26 days, in addition to Bank Holidays, which increases with service up to a maximum of 30 days after 25 years’ service (pro-rata for part time)
- After 6 months service you may be eligible for our profit share scheme
- You will be invited to participate in our Management Bonus Scheme which is worth up to 10% of your salary, subject to the Company meeting certain performance criteria.
- You will automatically join our Greggs pension scheme which is a fantastic way to save for your retirement and allows you to benefit from employer contributions and tax advantages
- Defined contribution management pension scheme
- Death in service benefit which provides a lump-sum payment equal to 4 times your year’s salary
- Other benefits include
- Private Medical Insurance which is free for you and subsidised for your dependants
- Permanent Health Insurance which is a replacement income scheme
- Share Save and Share Incentive Schemes
- Childcare Vouchers
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
During the application process we’ll keep in touch every step of the way. We know how big a decision it is for you to apply for a job. Once you do we’ll work hard to keep you up to speed on how your application is progressing. With your help we can make your application as quick and as smooth as possible.
Apply for Food Purchasing Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly