Packaging R&D Manager
Packaging R&D Manager
Based in Carlton, Barnsley
We’re delighted to offer the opportunity for an experienced Packaging R&D Manager to join our site team at Carlton, Barnsley and be responsible for the delivery of the packaging R&D elements in support of Innovation via NPD / EPD delivery and the identification and development of new pack formats and materials.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Create & develop packaging formats in line with Marketing brand plans and specific briefs. Present a range of pack format ideas to marketing to offer on shelf appeal/ stand out presence, plus proactively source new innovative ideas. Lead the development of these from concept, technical feasibility through to implementation.
- Create & develop packaging formats in line with Customer Brand own label specific briefs. Present a range of pack format ideas to the Customer Brand team to offer on shelf appeal/ stand out presence, plus proactively source new innovative ideas. Lead the development of these from concept, technical feasibility through to implementation.
- Within the project team manage the packaging development process including costings, concept samples, trials (including objectives, outputs / success criteria etc.), operations briefing, due diligence validation, process compliance, distribution and retailer handling trials within Premier Cake sites and within co-packers. Support the business Plastics Strategy requirements.
- Use effective project management skills and ensure clear communication both written and verbal.
- Investigate & communicate new technology developments that could support innovation.
- Support packaging project work and develop the required specifications resulting in capital investment for EPD
- Manage and develop a positive approach to Packaging & Machine suppliers to attain new ideas.
- Build understanding of packaging materials interactions with diversity of packaging machines and ensure that the packaging materials key performance criteria are part of the specifications.
- Support packaging project work resulting in value improvement (ie format, material and supplier changes)
- Maintain and update Packaging databases e.g. Hamilton Grant Packaging Specifications, CAPE pallet patterns, cutter guides
- Sign-off of new artwork against the packaging criteria
- Ensure business systems databases contain the correct packaging specification information.
- Ensure that all U.K. and International legal requirements relating to packaging are strictly adhered to, and that awareness of amendments / new requirements are maintained and communicated within relevant functions e.g. Central Technical etc
- Science based degree in either Packaging, Materials or Food Science
- Up to five years in a direct packaging technology role within a Food/Beverage or Pharmaceutical environment
- Institute of Packaging Diploma (preferred)
- Technically competent across a range of packaging material specifications, their applications and packing processes.
- Demonstrable experience with developing new pack formats with external packaging suppliers and third-party manufacturers
- Demonstrable experience with the development of creative/ innovative pack formats.
- Capable of managing capital invested sized projects independently