CSM Bakery Solutions, with manufacturing and distribution facilities across Europe, is a global provider of a wide range of bakery products and ingredients for retail and foodservice markets as well as artisan and industrial bakeries. CSM’s mosaic of heritage bakery brands includes some of the industry’s most trusted names: Readibake & Kates Cakes. We are the UK's leading supplier of Sweet Bakery Retailer branded products in the in-store bakery sector for Cookies, Doughnuts & Mini Bites.
Through the dedicated efforts of more than 8,500 employees, CSM serves customers in 100+ countries, providing specialized ingredients and finished products. Customers include all the major multiples along with food service organizations, quick serve restaurants and the major well known coffee houses.
The CSM UK head office is in the Wirral with other production facilities throughout the UK. The total annual turnover for the UK business is in excess of £200 million.
Salary is negotiable
To develop New Products from concept through to launch, in line with the NPD process and Customer Requirements.
Projects will include New Product Development, Existing Product Development, Value Engineering and Proactive Innovation.
- Support the delivery of specific projects work related to customer or company
- Maintain a current knowledge of professional technical practices, development and standards
- Support any of the other business functions when deemed appropriate by Head of NPD
- Have an understanding of your customers product range and also of the market
- Keep updated on Customer Policies to deliver products for submission ‘Right First Time’
Typical KPI measures are as follows:-
- All products are developed/ re-developed in line with the site NPD process and specific Customer Policies.
- Costs are captured through the NPD process from concept through to launch.
- Shelf life is determined through theoretical and analytical testing of Aw and sensory.
- Amendments to product recipes and costs are highlighted and captured
- Product NPD Passports are kept fully updated from concept through to launch.
- Building of Customer Relationships through Projects.
- Customer policies, and requirements are adhered to.
- The gate process is adhered to for every product, nothing progresses without being through the gates
- Continual personal development to become fully competent in the make-up and evaluation of Flapjack/ Brownie/ Cookie/ Shortbread/ Clusters and other categories when required.
- Continual Interest in Innovation/ Food Trends and Competitor Product Launches for Inspiration
Manage the product through successful Factory Trials
- Arrange and conduct all Factory Trials, supporting colleagues where necessary.
- Factory Trials include both product and packing, with support from Factory Team & Packaging Development Manager.
- Raise new material codes in SAP to enable Trials to progress.
- Collate Trial Reports to include bake loss/ product weights/ product dimensions/ product & process images etc.
- Start the Draft Customer QAS process.
- Send products for Travel Testing, where appropriate.
- Conduct Organoleptic Testing/ moisture & aW testing for shelf life confirmation.
- Send off samples for nutritional/ micro analysis.
- Arrange courier collection for Customer Samples.
- Amend any recipes post-trial on SAP/ update costs/ inform Specs Team.
Manage the product through a successful Pre-Production and Launch:
- Compile all Pre-Launch and Launch Documentation.
- Set up and attend Pre-Launch Meeting, with support from Line Manager.
- Conduct Pre-Launch Trials (including Packaging) where appropriate.
- Confirm all shelf life testing (Micro, Nutritional, A/W, Organoleptic)
- Collect and submit Customer Samples where appropriate.
- Review the final QAS with technical (to include final packaging photos)
- Support the launch of your product and collate any samples required for the customer / Brandbank
- Attend post launch reviews where necessary.
Experience and qualifications
- A highly motivated graduate Bakery Technologist with preferably 1-2 years’ experience and a proven ability to deliver projects to the highest quality standards.
- Excellent Communication, organisation and team building qualities are all a must.
- Passion for food and a flair for experimenting with food is an advantage.
- Generic Skills:
- - Experienced in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- - Understanding of Bakery and recipe balance.
- - An understanding of shelf life through the balance and control of Aw.
- -Excellent Communication/ Presentation skills
- -Strong organisational skills
- - Works well individually or as part of the wider Team.
Benefits we offer
- An exciting opportunity in a global leading organisation in the food industry
- 20 days annual leave
- Workplace Pension
- On-going training
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- On site car park