Technical Manager - Whitbread
Technical Manager - Whitbread
Whitbread is the owner of the UK’s favourite hotel chain, Premier Inn, as well as a number of restaurant brands. Whitbread operates over 1,200 hotels and restaurants across the UK, serving over five million customers every month.
NSF International have worked closely with Whitbread for a number of years, providing technical expertise via our technical team based in the Whitbread office in Dunstable. NSF is a recognised leader in inspection, certification, technical services, training and consulting services for the food industry. Our services are designed to provide enhanced legal compliance, brand protection and consumer confidence, and to create commercial advantage.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Manager to join us, and work as an ambassador for NSF as a key member of our technical services team. Based in the Whitbread office, we are looking for a dynamic, driven and dedicated individual who will be a key technical resource to the Whitbread group.
- TECHNICAL MANAGEMENT OF THE SUPPLY CHAIN:
- Technical management of the end to end supply chain across bespoke and off the shelf suppliers and distributors of food and drinks. This includes the maintenance of supplier records and delivering a programme of supplier audits and visits & ensure corrective actions are satisfactorily closed out.
- Responsibility for the development and implementation of Whitbread/NSF guidelines and standards
- Collaborate with suppliers to drive continuous improvement through carrying out regular reviews and implementing live quality improvement plans.
- Ensure that all products are manufactured in accordance with the client’s requirement
- INCIDENT MANAGEMENT:
- Co-ordinate and manage incidents related to food safety, legality and quality including decision making, investigation and follow up of actions
- Work with suppliers to analyse and investigate actual and potential product non-conformity (including complaints), identify the cause and solution, and implement corrective action plans to address the causes of actual and potential product non-conformity
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, ASSESSMENT AND CONTROL:
- Collaborate with colleagues and suppliers to drive the development process, ensuring all new products and product improvements are launched on time from technically and ethically capable suppliers. Will include the facilitation of the Global NPD process to ensure technical compliance with local legislation and regulations
- Maintain active and accurate product specifications for your area and carry out regular reviews on these with the supply base
- Collaborate with the Whitbread team, QA inspection team and suppliers to manage a regular product evaluation programme – organoleptic, analytical and microbiological
- Responsible for the End to End Quality of your category
- Support the Whitbread Nutritional Strategy in line with latest regulations and guidance
- Facilitate the Global NPD process by ensuring technical compliance with local legislation and regulations
- Drive and support technical innovation in new products, process and equipment
We are seeking a person who is committed, enthusiastic confident and driven with the following experience/knowledge/skills/abilities:
- A degree in Food Science/Food Technology or a related degree combined with significant industry experience in technical management roles in the food manufacturing, food retail and/or food service/catering sectors
- In depth knowledge and the ability to demonstrate the practical application of Food Law and Food Issues Management with particular application to manufacturing and multi-outlet catering operations e.g. legal pack copy, specification approval, menu copy approval, specifications
- Understanding of Supplier and Wholesale/Distribution Quality and Due-Diligence Management Systems
- Experience of Supplier Assessment Systems, Product/Supplier Risk Assessments and New Product Safety Approval Process
- Development of technical standards, guidelines and Codes of Practice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to negotiate on technical matters at all interface levels
- Able to liaise effectively at all levels within NSF International, with clients, with client’s suppliers and with other external organizations
- Highly computer-literate, particularly with regard to practical experience of technical data/information maintenance and dissemination
- Experience dealing with customers and suppliers at all levels
- Experience of supplier audit/inspections and HACCP (recognized lead auditor qualification, HACCP Level 3 or equivalent)
- Demonstrate a positive and committed attitude and has an enthusiastic manner
- Support a culture of continuous improvement & embrace change
- Strong communication skills, has the ability to make decisions in a collaborative manner
- Excellent time management skills and able to work under pressure
- Strong leadership skills, able to accept of responsibility
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Category specific experience in produce and/or grocery manufacturing
- Experience of working in or with the retail / food service sector would be advantageous.
- Proficient with web based specification and supplier management database systems
- A good knowledge of food labelling legislation
- Ability to maintain close liaison on specified technical aspects with a range of stake holders
You will be based at the Whitbread office in Dunstable.
The Benefits Package
- £Competitive Salary
- Private healthcare
- Company bonus scheme
- Company car or cash alternative
- Company pension scheme
- 25 days annual holiday
Could this be your dream job with a brand you can really get passionate about? This is a great time to be joining NSF/Whitbread, and we look forward to hearing from you!
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. No agency interest please.