Technical Manager - Grocery 12 Month FTC
A pioneer of organic home delivery, Abel & Cole is a brand famous for seasonal organic fruit & veg. Since 1988 we’ve built close relationships with other brilliant organic pioneers in order to deliver a wide range of fantastic organic food to people’s homes across much of England. We represent a refreshing alternative to supermarket shopping, but without being worthy or preachy. No air freight, no silly packaging, no nasty chemicals – just great food produced by people who really love what they do. We deliver to around 40,000 households and we employ nearly 600 great people. We consider ourselves bold, irreverent, genuine, friendly and honest, and it is crucial that this comes across in everything we do.
We’re seeking a proactive and driven individual to join our Technical team. As our Grocery Technical Manager you lead all aspects of supplier technical management for Abel & Cole, Fed, and the 1851 Brands Hub. You will work with existing and new suppliers to develop and ensure best practice in all aspects of food operations and to foster an attitude of continuous improvement, particularly in Abel & Cole branded items all whilst providing direct line management support to the grocery technical team of three. This is a superb opportunity to work with a young, enthusiastic and dynamic team and help mentor and develop technical managers of the future. It’s working with a unique and niche supply chain to introduce amazing new products and continuous improvements in food safety, quality, legality and authenticity with our amazing suppliers, and of course to have a bucket load of fun along the way! This is Maternity Cover contract and as such is offered on a 12 month FTC. If you believe you would be a great fit for this role read on to find out more:
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Provide direct line management for the grocery technical team, including holiday management, training requirements and coaching (where required).
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal teams, particularly operations, Customer Services, QA & buying.
- Support, and liaise closely with, senior company management and internal teams on grocery-related technical matters and business projects. Engage with internal and external teams and project stakeholders to build effective relationships and/or reach mutually beneficial solutions.
- Develop and maintain the supplier management strategy and system for grocery suppliers, working closely with the senior agronomist and head of technical to ensure consistency of approach.
- Ensure that strong and open relationships are being created and maintained with the grocery suppliers.
- Work closely with the buying and brand teams to deliver timely and successful New Product Development (NPD) from either existing or new suppliers.
- Lead product quality reviews & champion initiatives to improve product quality in grocery categories.
- Work closely with the product development and brand teams to ensure all own label products comply with brand requirements and sourcing policies.
- In conjunction with the head of technical and quality assurance (QA) team, develop and maintain sourcing policies and other supplier management documentation as part of the wider food safety & quality manual.
- Keep up to date with industry standards, legislation, developments and public interest changes through attendance and networking at key industry events, such as conferences, webinars, industry events and Campden Member Interest Groups (MIGs).
Here’s what we are looking for:
- Ideally candidate will have a background in a similar role within the food industry or be educated to a degree in a food science related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills, administration and IT skills
- A people person with the ability to influence and build relationships with suppliers and individuals at all levels
- Self-motivated, with a strong work ethic
- Good observational skills, with high attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with ability to prioritise
- Commercially aware
- Confidence and flexibility to positively deal with changing priorities, work under pressure, and to challenging deadlines.
What we offer
- 37.5 hours per week between Mon - Fri.
- 12 Month FTC
- 33 days inclusive of bank holidays running from the 1st May to 30th April.
- A free box of fruit and veg every week (It’s pretty delicious!) alongside company discount of up to 35%.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Grants for sport, performing arts, education and non-vocational courses.
- Contributory pension scheme
Abel & Cole promotes equal opportunities for all employees regardless of sex, gender reassignment, marital status, sexual preference, race and nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or creed, disability, age, responsibility for dependants, political views or trade union membership. We want our employees to develop their talents to the full for the benefit of all. Members of staff are expected to accept personal responsibility for keeping our workplace free from discrimination - a place where everyone is treated respectfully.