Health and Safety Officer
JOB TITLE: Health and Safety Officer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Technical Manager
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Implementation of employment law/ Health and safety Law practices
To implement, monitor and report on all aspects of Health and Safety in the Workplace improving the overall safety culture and working practices.
- Implementing changes to working practices that are safe and comply with legislation.
- Preparing health and safety strategies and developing internal policy.
- Carrying out risk assessments and considering how risks could be reduced.
- Undertaking Manual handling risk assessments and implementing safer ways to work.
- Outlining safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards.
- Undertaking site inspections and customer Audits to ensure that policies and procedures are being properly implemented.
- Recording of incidents/accidents and producing statistics for Senior Management.
- Investigating Accidents and complying with all relevant RIDOR reporting procedures.
- Holding and chairing Health and Safety committee meetings
- Keeping up to date with new legislation and maintaining a working knowledge of all relevant legislation and any developments that affect the employer's industry.
- Producing management reports, newsletters and bulletins.
- Advising on a range of specialist areas, e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery and occupational diseases.
- Ensuring the First Aid equipment and training is up to date and supplies are fully stocked.
- Ensuring compliance with all of the main regulatory areas, ie Work at Height, Electricity at Work, PUWER/LOLER, DSEAR etc
- Ordering safety equipment, PPE, first aid supplies and ensuring it is fit for purpose.
- Ensuring Fire risk assessments are undertaken and Fire Marshall training is done.