Microbiology Lab Supervisor
Here is an opportunity for someone that knows their way around a micro food testing environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
To manage all laboratory aspects of contract work in MSAS group such as challenge testing, shelf-life testing, methods validation and general food spoilage and food safety projects including scheduling work, ensuring sufficient supplies of media, consumables, technical support within and external to the MSAS group.
In particular the job holder will have the ability after a suitable training period to:
- To schedule all the testing requirements of a large and busy microbiology team
- To manage comprehensive laboratory documentation and records to allow full traceability of sample receipt, quality of media used, suitability of equipment for the tests and accurate recording of results
- To check results calculated by laboratory staff and to ensure lab books are checked and signed off on a weekly basis.
- Perform standard microbiological analysis of food
- To monitor completion of scheduled calibration checks and laboratory monitoring tasks to achieve compliance with the requirements of the ISO17025 laboratory accreditation and the quality system.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Skills gained in a similar role would be an advantage.
- A good standard of general education and in particular a keen interest in science.
- Computer literate
- Holds a valid UK driving licence
- Good Scientific qualifications with an ability to understand and apply scientific techniques and principles.
- Preferably with a basic to good knowledge of microbiology and an aptitude to learn the following techniques after suitable training:
- Experience of managing teams of technical staff
- Ability to manage the daily tasks of a group of technical staff working on a number of analytical and research projects
- Good knowledge of food spoilage and food safety microbiology
- Sample receipt and preparation for culture – independent analysis
- Ability to work within the requirements of recognised quality systems e.g. UKAS. ISO 9000.
- Competent in handling numerical tasks
- Knowledge of molecular techniques
Does this sound like you? Apply today.
Indicative Salary Range: £21000 - 24000
KPI Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
All candidates registering with KPI Recruitment Ltd. will need to provide proof of identity, and evidence of any experience, training and qualifications our client considers necessary for their position.