Food Policy Adviser (Maternity Cover)
We have a unique opportunity to be at the heart of development of new food policy and legislation. Representing our members, the major food retailers and food to go outlets, you will liaise with Government officials in the UK and Europe to shape future regulation and present the positive progress our members are making in diet and nutrition. This is your chance to be at the heart of food policy in a fascinating period for the industry.
About The British Retail Consortium (BRC)
The BRC is the leading trade association for the UK retail industry.
Retail is an exciting, dynamic and diverse industry. It is a driving force in our economy, and the UK’s largest private sector employer. Retailers touch the lives of millions of people every day, supporting vibrant communities where they operate.
The industry is going through a period of unprecedented change as technology transforms how people shop, at the same time as business rates and other public policy costs are rising, threatening the existence of household names in the industry.
The BRC’s purpose is to make a positive difference to the industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future. This means ensuring that the industry thrives through this period of change and it is a positive reinvention.
To support members with existing and new regulation in food. In particular regulations, from the EU and the 4 UK Governments on labelling, allergens, nutrition and compositional standards. This includes co-ordinating BRC responses to consultations on new and amended regulations, preparing guidance and liaising with relevant officials.
To help manage the BRC’s campaign activity on nutrition and obesity. This includes collecting evidence of progress by members and working with colleagues to promote this to stakeholders and the media.
- Manage relevant member working groups to disseminate information and co-ordinate BRC positions
- Contribute to the Food Community, including distributing the regular bulletin to members, uploading briefing documents and maintaining web pages
- Liaising with relevant stakeholders including officials in Defra, the Food Standards Agency and NGOs
- Supporting colleagues in the devolved countries to influence development of relevant policy and regulations
- Liaise with Eurocommerce to ensure members have visibility of regulatory changes in Europe
- Work with the corporate affairs team to advance the BRC’s campaign on nutrition and obesity
- Support our press team to answer media queries
- Develop and support relevant BRC events
- Support the recruitment and retention of members and associate members
Skills & Industry Experience:
- Good understanding of UK food regulations and their practical application
- Experience in the development of UK and EU food legislation
- Experience gained in a regulatory affairs, trading standards or environmental health function
- Good written skills, including the ability to provide concise briefing on complex topics
- Good networking skills to build contacts with a range of stakeholders and support colleagues based in London and other parts of the UK
Additional Personal Attributes:
- Team player willing to help other colleagues as necessary
- Good communicator, able to influence and advance BRC’s lobbying positions
Our values represent the spirit and ethos of our business. They drive actions and behaviours and encompass how we go about our engaging with each other:
We are open, approachable, respectful and responsive.
We communicate openly and work together effectively with members and colleagues.
We are proud to represent the retail industry and consistently strive to improve.
We look forward, adapt, and continually seek new opportunities and ideas.
We constantly deliver value to our industry and make things happen in the right way.
We Continually Provide Value Together