We are seeking a Head of Logistics and Warehouse Operations. The successful applicant will report directly in to the Managing Director. As the Head of Logistics and Warehouse Operations you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the logistics and warehouse function, including leadership. The role is also responsible for the design and development of our supply chain infrastructure, including our distribution centre and transport network, with the objective of improving cost, service and flexibility for the business, whilst creating a continuous improvement culture across the wider team.
The role will work closely with key stakeholders such as Commercial, Production, supply chain, Logistics, Warehouse and Health and Safety.
Surya Foods is one of the largest suppliers of authentic world foods in the UK and the company behind the fastest growing rice brand, Laila - part of the rapidly expanding, family run Flying Trade Group (FTG) which boasts an annual UK turnover in excess of £160-million, operating in over 30 countries. Impressive growth has seen FTG enter the 2018 Sunday Times Top Track 250 league tables and the Sunday Times International Track 200 in 2019 and in 2020 company sales are already growing at 28%.
We supply 100’s of products into supermarket giants Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, Co-Op, Iceland. We supply key customers such as Bestway, Brakes and Bidfood in our every growing food service channel. We also supply over 1000 independent retail accounts across the UK which is the heartbeat of our business, as well as our recently created online store selling over 2000 SKU’s.
Surya Foods also represents some leading imported brands including Britannia Biscuits, National Foods, FOCO, Ajinomoto and Samai among others as part of our World Foods ranges.
With rapid expansion plans over next 3 years, we are planning on launching another 100 SKU’s this year, bringing new products and innovation to every sales channel. We are dramatically expanding our business with new capacity, new manufacturing capability and a much bigger commercial, marketing and buying team. We are embarking on a journey from specialist World Foods supplier to a leading FMCG mainstream manufacturer that is truly multi-channel and global.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of its warehousing and logistics operations.
- Manage the daily operation of warehousing and logistics operations and equipment across the site.
- Deliver KPI’s and Service levels.
- Ensure legislative compliance.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Plan for growth to ensure sufficient capacity ahead of demand, maximising flexibility and minimising operational costs.
- Champion highest standards of Health & Safety.
- Project management – manage & support projects which affect the departments directly and indirectly, ensuring timelines are met.
- Strive for business improvements and cost reduction initiatives.
- Promote and advise on embedding best practice.
- Ensure daily / weekly workload planning and volume forecasting routines are accomplished.
- Investigate and resolve issues that arise.
- Control waste within guidelines.
- Recruitment of excellent staff.
- Support staff development and training requirements.
Skills, qualification and experience
- Demonstrable track record in senior leadership and P&L accountability within a warehousing and logistics role.
- A confident leader and decision maker, able to articulate and deliver the operational vision
- Practical knowledge of logistical and regulatory constraints.
- Excellent in-depth knowledge of warehousing, stock control and transport operations including fleet optimisation, fleet compliance and fleet preventative maintenance.
- Experience of specifying fleet, identifying optimal vehicle utilisation and introducing economy initiatives.
- Excellent stock control and warehousing knowledge familiar with planning optimal stock flow and layouts within the warehouse across goods in, put away, pick, pack, vehicle loading and despatch within a busy, fast paced environment.
- Practical knowledge of warehousing, stock control and transport KPI’s and experience of embedding these within an operation to drive performance, add value and improve profitability.
- Experienced in presenting MI and business improvement initiatives to the board.
- Ability to work as part of a team with colleagues across professional, operational and cultural boundaries.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to handle a number of tasks at once and meeting deadlines as required.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with excellent people in a growing Company, so if you want to join us on the journey, and have the dedication to take us to the next level, we would love to hear from you!