What is THIS?
THIS is a high-growth, VC-backed start-up producing plant-based food. Meat-alternatives, to be exact. In fact if we’re being reallllly exact – our products are at the leading-edge of the plant-based sector in terms of taste, texture and appearance. Here’s our insta, for a quick stalk - https://www.instagram.com/this.uk
It’s worth mentioning that since our launch in June 2019, the company has experienced extremely significant growth in revenue – around 35% compound every month we’ve been trading.
Why are we doing THIS?
We’re Andy and Pete - co-founders of THIS. Our last job entailed selling tonnes (literally tonnes) of meat. Then we felt bad. Also, we felt like meat-alternatives weren't realllllly for people who love the taste of meat. We felt like they were for people who like sandals and socks. So we've basically ended up making THIS for ourselves, but we'd love other meat-lovers to nom nom it too. THIS is a game-changer.
What’s the deal with this role?
The successful candidate will be a valuable addition to THIS’ growing Innovation team; that means they’ll be responsible for project managing all our kickass ideas to market. We’ve allocated over £500k of our latest funding round to build an R&D facility. That will consist of a circa 2000sq ft space, lots of fun hardware, and an amazing team to run it all.
What will you be doing?
- Lead the technical project management of R&D and Innovation workstreams delivering to the market new, industry defining, plant-based products for THIS.
- Oversee projects from concept to launch; through ideation, concept building, feasibility, development, scale-up and commercialisation.
- Manage and lead all technical workstreams to deliver projects, including processing, formulation, packaging, specifications, tastings, factory trials, artwork, consumer insights, safety, regulatory and intellectual property.
- Drive quality and sustainability within all workstreams, compromising nowhere.
- Oversee all work around incrementally improving the company’s existing products.
- Taking on numerous external stakeholder relationships, to leverage the world’s best flavour, texture, processing and ingredients expertise.
- Additionally, work with Supply Chains partners including third party manufacturers, co-packers and packaging suppliers.
- Co-ordinating and working cross functionally with Operations, Supply Chain, Marketing & Business Development teams.
- Establishing best practice procedures for the company around project management, risk management and portfolio management.
- Keep a close eye on future market trends and appetites, feeding this into the overall innovation strategy.
- Work with the Head of Innovation in building up the innovation team moving forwards.
What are we looking for?
- Someone with a deep, hands on end-to-end understanding of the food innovation process, from idea conception to launching a product to market.
- Degree (Master’s preferred) in Food Science, Engineering, Chemistry or equivalent.
- >3 years experience within food product innovation (other relevant industries acceptable).
- >1 year experience in project management.
- Previous experience in a product technologist, developer or formulation role.
- Experience in risk management and project network management.
- A problem solver, someone who gets excited by challenging projects and tasks.
- Experience in managing stakeholders and external partners (eg: suppliers)
- A HUSTLER. This person will need to get sh*t done in a major way and knock through what will seem like brick walls. We are leading the category in terms of product, and for us to stay there, you will need to have a relentlessness that isn’t in everybody.
- Previous people management experience would be nice to have, but not essential.
- Positive attitude, proactivity and a tenacious character: things in our business can change very quickly, so being comfortable reacting quickly to unexpected opportunities and challenges is super important too!
- Ability and interest to work cross-functionally, we’re a small team and believe that strong collaboration will take us further than working in silos
- Honesty & integrity - a conviction in your work to improve your small patch of the world for yourself and for others
- Team player: we’re colleagues but also mates (unless we're playing table tennis)
As a start-up, everyone who joins us needs to be ready to roll up their sleeves and carry out tasks away from their core focus because - they just need to get done. That could be helping to prepare samples for a customer meeting, trying new products and giving tasting notes, packing cold bags into boxes or a lot of other random stuff that comes up. They're not always the most glamorous jobs, but from the founders down, the whole team gets involved!
From our side
- A competitive salary that fairly recognises your experience and potential.
- We are offering share-options in our company to everyone who joins us at this early stage
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank-holidays – we care about our team’s wellbeing, so we make sure you have time to fully switch off, rest, and recharge.
- Flexible working hours – We're not a 9-5. No-one will tap their watch if you prefer to start late and finish late because you like to go to the gym before work. Our focus is on your ability to deliver for the business, not your ability to keep strict working hours.
- We do really care about our team’s wellbeing so we give everyone a wellness allowance every year to spend on things that will improve their wellness like gym memberships, fitness classes, counselling, physio, meditation apps and more.
- A values-led working environment that encourages putting people first, honesty, curiosity and leadership.
The chance to have a meaningful impact
As a small, albeit growing, team you'll be exposed to - and have the chance to contribute towards - challenges and projects at all levels and in all areas of the business. A good idea is a good idea, regardless of the experience or seniority of who came up with it.