It doesn't necessarily take a global pandemic to make you stop and reconsider your career choices… but it helps.
It's no secret that chefs are passionate about their work. If you've worked within high pressured, high-end restaurants, you'll know what it takes to be part of a well drilled and skilled brigade. However, not everyone sees this life and environment as their long-term future.
Here is an opportunity to make a break into a slightly different world of food, New Product Development within grocery retail.
Our client is a major international food manufacturer that takes inspiration from the quality restaurants you'll have already experienced. They seek a new Chef to join their Development team in London, to be part of major accounts such as Tesco, Marks & Spencer, and Waitrose, to name a few.
What's the benefit of such a role and making the move away from busy hospitality brigades?
- Long-term career… succession planning that can take you all over categories of food and potentially all over the world
- Use your imagination to create first to market dishes for the masses
- Work-life balance (evenings and weekends)
- Personal growth - training and development across multi-departments
- Time to research… encouraged to review and learn about new trends
- Variety… no two days the same
The list of career advantages in this sector of food development is lengthy, but to be honest so is the requirements we are looking for, in order to be considered:
- Experience within high-end restaurants (award winning and ground-breaking)
- Wide ranging food interest over multiple cuisines
- An ability to recipe develop
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office)
Full disclosure though, this role isn't for everyone. You might miss the buzz of service. You might miss the speed and energy a mad service offers. However, working in a more structured, long-term, and creative environment could be exactly what you're after. Presenting your ideas to an engaged audience. Having your meal solutions available on the shelves of supermarkets nationwide! It's quite an achievement and thrill knowing your meals or being enjoyed in thousands of households all week.
If you believe you have the balance of skills, temperament, and ambition for this, then send your CV as soon as possible.