Our client produces an amazing range of chilled and frozen products, primarily for the Restaurant sector. They are seeking to appoint a hands-on Technical Manager to manage a small team and liaise with their customers with confidence, providing competent and efficient technical support to both internal teams and external customers. You will be responsible for championing Technical Excellence, ensuring the product and service provided is fit for purpose and meets both external and internal requirements, including legal compliance and meeting customer expectations. You will also be coordinating and maintaining the activities required to meet safety and quality standards. You will also be involved in the overall management of the business which may involve participation in other areas of functionality or responsibility and will also be involved in company cross functional projects.
This is an ideal role for someone who is currently “number two” to a Technical Manager at a large chilled, prepared foods site or who is leading a Technical Team in a small business.
Key accountabilities for the role are:
- Ensuring appropriate Food Safety & Quality Management Systems are in place to ensure the food produced meets food safety legislation and customer technical and quality requirements.
- Maintain SALSA accreditation standard across site.
- Effective organisation and management of the Technical & Quality team
- Identifying areas of improvement. Working closely with other departments to design effective preventive action plans or corrective actions when necessary.
- Ensuring that non-conformances are recorded, investigated, and communicated appropriately and that corrective actions are implemented.
- Investigating customer complaints, analysing trends and working with the production team to prevent future occurrence.
- Management of incidents, product withdrawal and product recall.
- Ensuring customer requirements are met in a timely manner and in line with their deadlines where applicable.
- Managing technical aspects of product launches including shelf-life determination, production flows and creation of all technical documentation. This includes attending factory trials to provide technical support.
- Leading technical site audits including environmental health, customer and third-party accreditation. Liaising with relevant departments for the audit process and actioning and responding to any corrective actions.
- Ensuring all due diligence is performed on new suppliers and new ingredients. Co-ordination of supplier visits and audits where required.
- Management of site micro testing schedule, pest control plan, HACCP plan and staff training plan for all matters relating to food safety.
Essential skills and experience include:
- Candidate should have experience of cook/chill – someone used to work with a wide range of multi-component products with a range of allergens
- A food science / food technology background or equivalent.
- Experience of managing a small team
- Site Technical or Quality Systems experience in a food manufacturing business.
- Customer facing and auditing experience.
- Good knowledge of and experience in HACCP, third party accreditations (SALSA or BRC) and food legislation.
- HACCP level 4 qualification desirable.
- Strong organisational, communication and analytical skills with good attention to detail.
- Good understanding of Microsoft packages
The working hours of this role are Monday to Friday, typically 8am to 4pm (although this is flexible) and the salary is £40,000 - £45,000 - per annum, dependent upon experience.
- Strong collaborative culture, working with other departments to ensure consistently high standards of food quality.
- Whole team are working together to become the finest food production company in the UK, with a focus on ensuring that products are safe and delivered to the highest standards of food quality
- Family feel to the business. strong on integrity with a feel-good positive atmosphere
If you are interested in applying for this role please apply AS SOON AS POSSIBLE quoting reference number JJ-P4556 with an updated CV, an indication of your current salary and your availability.