Food Policy Adviser 12 month contract
London Hybrid working
As the trade association for retail businesses, the purpose of the BRC is to make a positive difference to the retail industry and the customers it serves, today and in the future, using expertise and influence to create an economic and policy environment that enables retail businesses to thrive and consumers to benefit. Representing all the major food retailers in the UK, from the supermarkets and convenience stores to the largest food to go chains, we are committed to supporting our members maintain the highest food safety standards.
You will be a key member of the policy team working in this specialist role. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong technical expertise and experience, with excellent knowledge of food safety across a range of products and issues impacting the retail sector.
- To take the lead on developing BRC positions and representing those with Government and its agencies, including the FSA on:
- Food safety legislation and enforcement
- Risk management and horizon scanning
- Managing food incidents on behalf of members
- Working alongside colleagues to manage and develop our Food Community group for members covering all food legislation, sourcing and policy issues
- Manage technical working groups within the Food Community to address member issues on microbiology, contamination and horizon scanning
- Communications – to keep BRC members up to date on food safety issues through email, website and dedicated webinars
- To maintain an effective network of key officials and stakeholders within the UK to strengthen our lobbying positions and identify issues of interest to members
- To work with the Membership Team, and BRC Learning to identify commercial opportunities in member recruitment, sponsorship and training
- To be a pro-active, supportive member of the Food & Sustainability team and wider BRC teams.
- Degree in food science or related subject
- Previous experience working in the food industry, ideally within a production or retail environment
- Good understanding of the UK food regulatory system
- Good understanding of the operation of risk management in the food supply chain
- An experienced and confident professional, with a thorough understanding and knowledge of the key issues and stakeholders impacting food safety issues likely to affect members.
- Able to demonstrate both the ability and credibility to work alongside senior management and to represent the business to external contacts
All direct and third party applications will be forwarded to our retained consultants at CPA Recruitment