Our Client, a fast paced, high volume manufacturer of chilled foods for the Major Retailers, is looking for a Laboratory Manager for their site based in London / Kent. The successful candidate will work closely with the Laboratory and Factory Teams, overseeing the day to day running of laboratory activities and leading the site’s micro improvement plan to drive Food Safety.
Reporting to the Head of Technical, key accountabilities for the role are:
- Ensuring the effective operation of the Laboratory to budget
- Maintenance of the CLAS/RSA accreditation standards of the CLASS II pathogen laboratory
- Management and Training of Laboratory Personnel
- Effective and accurate internal reporting of Laboratory findings
- Monitoring equipment performance and arranging appropriate repair, service and calibration
- Investigating atypical results and quality system failures and actioning accordingly
- Contributing to the ongoing development of the company’s HACCP plans
- The upkeep of the Company Microbiological Methods Manual
- Development and maintenance of all laboratory sampling to meet customer and legal specifications
- Stock Control and ordering
- Product and raw material release control
- Liaising with external laboratories for external testing
- Documenting out of specification reports, completing and dictating investigations and corrective actions following results
- Interpreting statistical data to identify trends
- Leading the site’s micro improvement plan, conducting meetings with relevant parties to ensure appropriate actions are taken to enhance the site’s food safety performance
- Maintaining the site’s environmental monitoring plan, adjusting swab points and frequencies of swabbing as appropriate
Essential skills and experience include:
- Previous experience managing a CLAS/RSA CLASS II pathogen Laboratory ideally within a chilled Food Manufacturing environment.
- BSc / MSc required in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Technology, or related field or relevant experience
- A Strong communicator, experienced in liaising with external laboratories
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
The working hours for this role are Monday to Friday, 8am – 5pm and the salary is up to £50k per annum. You may be required to travel to other sites / laboratories so a driving licence would be ideal but is not essential.
- A well-established multi-site chilled food manufacturer
- Modern and well invested sites
- Supplying major retailers across the UK
If you are interested in applying for this role please apply AS SOON AS POSSIBLE quoting reference number JJ-P4582 with an updated CV, an indication of your current salary and your availability.