We are recruiting for a Technical Manager to join our Whittard family!
• Use your expert technical knowledge and judgement to ensure the consistent delivery of innovative, high quality, safe, and legal products.
• Define and drive the global compliance/technical strategy in all areas of our business, including UK (Retail, online), China, B2B and Marketplace partners
• Maintain the reputation of the Whittard Brand and ensuing product legal compliance and safety.
• Lead the compliance agenda across the business
• With the Head of Buying and Product, develop the CSR and ETI policy to achieve the BCorp
- Development of technical/compliance strategy to support business development and brand integrity.
- Identify and deliver (manage the delivery) of strategic technical initiatives and take accountability for key technical workstreams.
- Train and develop the business/key stakeholders/external parties on key compliance responsibilities , monitor improvement and close gaps in knowledge.
Supplier & Audit Management:
- Audit management, responsible for all audits with key and tier 2 suppliers, ensuing quality of product legal compliance and Ethical Trading Policy and upholding Whittard values.
- Defining technical standards, monitor, review and implement changes as appropriate
- Approving new suppliers form the technical perspective.
- Supplier Management – maintaining technical relationships and driving improvements.
- Own and develop a robust specification process for product and packaging. Inc maintaining up to date specifications, compliant labelling and managing any complaints.
- Source, propose and implement a new specification system, as appropriate.
- Managing and Sign off artwork and any necessary updates for legislation changes.
- Support new product development technically.
International, new sales streams and distribution sites:
- Working with our franchise partners and other external parties ensure product and technical compliance is upheld to our standard, as laid out in all our process and documentations covering compliance and spec management aligned with local laws and standards.
- Support new international/sales streams or new distribution sites from a technical perspective, ensuring all processes & standards are in place, working closely with the commercial teams.
- Maintain these standards post implementation, audit, review and close gaps.
- Partner with our local team in China including our 3rd party to ensure that all local standard including all labelling, specs and other legal compliance are met and product is delivered on time.
- Responsible for the technical oversight of an agreement for our distribution site and specifically for the blending room.
- Own and develop food safety policy and compliance in our stores and tea bar operation.
- Ensure the Whittard quality management system implemented both internally and with our suppliers
- Manage our quality control/gold seal processes.
- Managing quality issues and incidents including developing preventive action plans.
CSR and Ethical Trading:
- Supports the development and continuous improvement of CSR and ETI policy and BCorp accreditation.
- Implement with all suppliers and 3rd party providers.
- Drive awareness and training across the business.
- Ensure suppliers are audited as appropriate ensuring non compliances are remedied in a satisfactory timescale.
- Improve customer satisfaction by being responsible for the reduction in customer complaints, take action deliver continuous improvement.
- Define and implement compliance reporting to the business, for information action and improvement.
- Updates the business on current and emerging issues and steps required to oversee full compliance.
- Support business to widen their compliance/ETI knowledge and deliver department objectives.
- Recommend, gain approval and implement any new compliance technology, policy or process to improve productivity and increase
Experience / skills / competencies:
• Minimum technical / quality experience in retail and food manufacturing.
• Degree qualified in food science or an associated subject.
• Proven auditing experience.
• International experience.
• Knowledge of supplier assurance and management programmes.
• Food Safety Level 4.
• HACCP Level 3.
• Compliant management KPI documentation and reporting.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Influencing, and coaching skills – ability to manage across the business.
• Empathy with tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
• Adaptable, able to work in non-food areas such as sustainability and ETI.
Whittard in a Tea Cup…
Our story began in 1886 when Walter Whittard first set up shop on London’s bustling Fleet Street selling the finest tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Over 130 years later, Whittard of Chelsea has become a global aspirational brand, but we remain true to our founder’s approach: to “buy the best.”
Our passion for our high-quality, innovative products still informs everything we do, whether that’s tracking down world-class ingredients or fuelling our friendly experts with knowledge – and if there’s one thing Walter’s taught us, it’s that a truly excellent cuppa is an experience best shared…
Whittard of Chelsea is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thrive to be a diverse and an inclusive organisation. We want to be a place where differences are recognised and celebrated, with a workforce that continues to build teams from all individualities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Together as a Whittard family, we continue to create a culture that encourages, supports, and inspires all our employees to have a voice, to make a positive difference in helping to develop our ambitious brand.