JOB DESCRIPTION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Job Title: Quality Management Technician (until end March 2023) (Knowledge Transfer Affiliate)
Department: Grŵp Llandrillo Menai – Food Technology Centre
Location: Mona Island Dairy, Mona Industrial Park, Gwalchmai, Holyhead, LL65 4RJ
Salary: Set Point: £23,000 per annum
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week (Typically 08:00 – 16:00 / Mon - Friday) (2 x 15 minute coffee breaks-paid, 1 x 30 minute lunch break- unpaid)
Annual Leave: 28 days including Bank holidays (Bank holidays are not automatically granted – subject to level of cover)
Responsible to: Appropriate Academic Supervisor and Industrial Supervisor
The Grŵp Llandrillo Menai Food Technology Centre, in collaboration with Food Innovation Wales, has a series of fixed-term full-time and part-time positions for Knowledge Exchange Affiliates to work within Small to Medium Enterprise (SME) companies in the food manufacturing sector in Wales.
The Affiliate will work with Industrial Supervisors in approved partner organisations to support projects in a range of areas within this sector of the Welsh economy.
This project provides an opportunity to work in partnership with Mona Island Dairy, and the Food Technology Centre.
Mona Island Dairy has now created one of Europe’s most up-to-date and environmentally friendly cheese production plants, based at Mona Industrial Park, Anglesey.
When the founders have completed the £15 million cheese production unit and commence production in Autumn 2021, the plant will have an initial capacity of 22 million litres of milk per year, which will be converted into a range of premium Welsh cheeses. The project was started in 2018 and the factory build is nearing completion.
Commissioning will start in Summer 2021 and commercial operation will start in the autumn.
The Food Technology Centre offers technical support, NPD services and training to the food industry. http://www.foodtech-llangefni.co.uk/
The aim of the project is:
To assist in the development the Quality Management System to improve processes and procedures both on the factory floor and in terms of documentation, leading to implementation of accreditation initially BRC START and leading to BRC V8 at the site. This role is 50% factory-based and 50% office-based.
The project will involve creating a gap analysis against the new BRC standard V8. This will include a variety of audit formats to assist with closing gaps in the system with the aim of becoming fully compliant and accredited. This will be done with the assistance of, and in conjunction with the current Technical Manager. The role will involve a number of technical duties which will help design and implement the site’s compliance against food safety, quality and legislative parameters and help drive improvements in quality, consistency and efficiency across the manufacturing process.
The successful applicant will receive support and training as part of this HELIX Affiliate programme, largely based at the production site at Mona Industrial Park, Anglesey, North Wales.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To analyse existing industry practices within the Industrial partners’ premises and implement interventions that aim to improve business operations.
- Identify the steps needed to embed improvements within the industrial partner’s premises and manage the implementation of changes in accordance with good management practice and in compliance with relevant legislation and industry technical instructions.
- To efficiently implement Food Safety and Quality Management Systems via a variety of methods, using a structured approach and to an agreed timetable in line with business objectives.
- To support the attainment of accreditation to BRCGS START! Global Markets – Food Safety INTERMEDIATE and work towards and support the attainment of BRCGS Global standard –Food Safety Version 8.
- Undertake a formal evaluation of the project and report.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include the support of the following:
- On-line quality checks (e.g. labelling checks) in production as required
- Implementation of the HACCP system and monitoring of CCPs within the factory via critical staff
- Implementation of the Quality Management System in line with accreditation standard requirements
- Internal auditing of Good Manufacturing Practice & processes, to include factory environment, staff facilities, exterior & fabrication of the building, and product quality audits
- Supplier approval and monitoring and ensure intake raw materials and paperwork adhere to specifications
- Ensuring traceability procedures are followed within the factory
- Carrying out forward and backward mass balance traceability checks
- Glass and plastics checks
- Allergen control and verification, ensuring the pre-requisite programme is followed
- Environmental swabbing, ATP, Hand Swabbing, sample collection as per the schedule and critical assessment of results
- Hygiene Standards verification and sign off
- Monitoring non-conformance and implementation of corrective actions and root cause analysis when required
- Liaise with the NPD process to ensure that new products are integrated into the site food safety controls and quality system, with a view to eventually managing the NPD process
- Implement and manage the complaints procedure, including customer liaison and investigation of the issues including root cause analysis where applicable.
- Assist with third party audits and customer visits
- Assist with implementing procedures through training of site personnel
- Specification collation and review process
- Training competency assessments
- Support regulatory compliance
- Horizon scanning and reporting
These guidelines are provided to assist you in the performance of your contract. Grŵp Llandrillo Menai is a dynamic organisation; therefore, changes may be required from time to time. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post-holder. The Summary of Duties and Responsibilities is not intended to be an exhaustive list of tasks performed. Other associated technical tasks are likely to be performed as directed by the line manager.
It is accepted that individual staff will have a specialist skills and knowledge base in relation to the role they have been appointed to. In addition to this, Grŵp Llandrillo Menai expects that all staff will conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner at all times and have particular regard for their responsibilities under Grŵp Llandrillo Menai’s Equalities, Financial, Environmental and Sustainability, Human Resources and Health and Safety policies and procedures.