Head of Operations (GM)
Background: A fourth generation family business is looking to strengthen their team with a new senior role which will increase the overall activity, business profile, sales, and staffing levels. This is a key role for the future development of Grasmere Gingerbread, and work alongside the owners and directors of this unique business.
Main purpose of the job: The complete operational management of the business which encompasses every aspect of the business; facility, staff and customer management, production and smooth running of a very busy shop (also seen as a major tourist attraction), E-Commerce mail order department, marketing and sales administration and external promotion.
Days of work: 5 days a week (one of which will be a weekend day)
Hours of work: Minimum core hours 8am – 5.45pm (1 hour for lunch) No more than 48 hours a week, shorter hours in winter
Immediately responsible to: The Directors
Responsible for: All Staff
Liaison with: Directors, staff, customers and suppliers
Key tasks/job responsibilities: The role is a mix of both management and ‘hands on’ needs and includes the following management of day-to-day activities:
· Staff management
· Overseeing production
· Procurement and stock control
· ALL Health and safety, and other legal requirements/obligations
· Quality control both product(s) and services
· Distribution (corporate and service)
· Property Management
· Budget control with assistance from the Directors
· Reporting to Directors; updates and operational
· Managing key communication to all the team
In addition: Assist the Finance and HR function with recruitment, training, staff reviews, working/holiday rotas and overall staff welfare.
Other: To continually improve systems and processes for the future and long term sustainability of the business.
To Note: Demands of the business; Grasmere Gingerbread® is primarily tourism dependent and the busiest trading times are during ALL school holidays, regardless of region, throughout the year. Therefore, applicants must be aware that holidays will only be granted outside of these periods.
Core skills required:
· Effective communication skills at all levels, both written and verbally
· Strong leadership skills with the ability to delegate and prioritise
· Be able to lead, support and motive the team assuring accountability
· Excellent interpersonal skills to manage staff, external suppliers, associates and customers
· External/customer appreciation experience
· Have an eye for detail and accuracy (Paramount)
· Full understanding of running a busy operational and/or production environment