Shift: Monday – Friday, days
Business Area: Bakkavor Desserts
Location: Devizes, Wiltshire
Factory Technical Manager
We are the leading provider of fresh prepared food in the UK, with an international presence in the US and China. Our 19,000 employees operate from 39 locations, developing and producing innovative food for a wide variety of occasions and budgets. In the UK, we work with leading grocery retailers, focusing on their own label brands.
Bakkavor Desserts is based in Devizes, Wiltshire and specialises in making chilled desserts such as tarts, yum yums, doughnuts, pies and pastries. The site employs over 550 people and is one of three factories that are part of the Bakkavor Desserts sector in the UK.
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Factory Technical Manager to join the Desserts Devizes team. You will be responsible for leading and motivating the Quality Assurance team in monitoring and evaluating product and processing systems.
- Understand and apply relevant standards and codes of practice so that Bakkavor, Customer, BRC and legal requirements are achieved and maintained.
- To ensure that the requirements of HACCP are implemented, maintained, and achieved. Involvement in the evaluation of risks and defining controls, prior to the introduction of a new process, product, or raw material
- Understands, implements, and reviews quality management systems associated with the production of food to the agreed safety and quality standards.
- Implement, maintain, and review an audit system to ensure that critical procedures for product safety, legality and quality are in place and complied with. In addition, review all internal findings, identify trends, and implement appropriate preventative measures.
- Supports the Technical Manager & the business with management of audits, hosting audits as appropriate. Manages response & close out of non-conformance reports from audits as required.
- Effectively communicates with internal and external customers suppliers and production teams to ensure all the technical needs of the business are met. Deputise for the Technical Manager in their absence
- Manages the training & development requirements of the technical team and ensures that direct reports are properly equipped to undertake their roles.
- Manage the QA team & is responsible for its activity. Recruit and retain the right calibre of people. Lead, motivate and inspire the Quality team in line with Bakkavor Values to achieve personal development, continuous improvement
- Generate technical business KPI information, communicate, trend, and highlight issues. Develop and agree action plans and through Continuous Improvement drive the business forward.
- Provides practical support and drive to promote a Quality Assurance culture in the Business.
- Ensures that a safe working environment exists for all employees within the QA team and that as a minimum the standards set out in the H&S manual are met.
- When joining us you can expect a highly competitive rewards package including group pension and other flexible benefits - alongside excellent career progression prospects across the Bakkavor group.
Bakkavor is the leading provider of fresh prepared food in the UK, with a growing international presence in the US and China. We are number one in the UK in the four product categories of meals, salads, desserts and pizza & bread, providing high-quality, fresh, healthy and convenient food. Our customers include every major UK grocery retailer, including Tesco, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and some of the world’s best-known food brands. We have over 19,000 employees, our headquarters are in London and we have 23 factories in the UK, 5 in the US and 9 in China.