PepsiCo is one of the world's leading food and beverage companies serving more than 200 countries and territories around the world.
Every day millions of people in the UK enjoy our oats, snacks, juices and beverages. The 4,500 strong team behind these household names is spread across our 10 UK sites. Our vision is to Be the Global Leader in Convenient Foods and Beverages by Winning with Purpose. Behind this vision lies a passion for sustainability and a commitment to doing business in the right way. We strongly believe that integrating purpose into our business strategy will be the key to our future success.
Join the world of PepsiCo Supply Chain, our Skelmersdale manufacturing site is a key part of the Walkers portfolio producing a wide range of snacks such as Snack-a-Jacks and Monster Munch. It is a fast paced and ever changing environment, we can go from idea to implementation in a matter of days. You will be inspired by the drive of your team and feel a true sense of connection and comradery with your colleagues who are proud to work at Skelmersdale.
Position SummaryReports to:
Shift Operations Manager Direct reports:
None Working Hours:
Continental shift pattern (3/2) working 12 hour shifts. This will rotate between days (06:00-18:00) and nights (18:00-6:00) averaging 42 hours per week.
The Manufacturing Technician (MT) role directly influences line performance through managing their zones to achieve QCDM targets. Working with a team of General Operatives (GO's) and collaborating with the wider line team of MT's, Shift Technicians and Performance Coordinators to understand line performance, prioritise actions and proactively apply improved performance specification (IPS), good manufacturing practices (GMP), safety and maintenance standards.
Roles & Responsibilities
The MT's responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Coach the GOs in Health and Safety, Food Safety, Quality, IPS, GMP and immediate problem solving to reinforce their training
- Responsible to hold the GOs and GSOs in their zone accountable to the expected standards in Health and Safety, Food safety, Quality, IPS, GMP and performance across the multiple zones they are accountable for.
- Responsible for co-ordinating and prioritising the activities and resources (across their zones) to ensure efficient utilisation
- Accountable for ensuring that the zone standards are maintained through continual IPS auditing and verification. Accountable for identification of gaps and building capability in the zones through training and coaching using SOP and IPS.
- Influence and facilitate by utilising problem solving techniques to identify and resolve root causes.
- Generate data and identify trends and systemic issues to drive improvement.
- Completes validation of tasks completed by GOs to ensure performance in the zones.
- Responsible for prescribed routine maintenance activity; basic fault finding, non-intrusive first fixes, calibrations and running inspections including impression based maintenance. Supporting and assisting the GOs in replacing consumable parts, filters, sanitising, lubricating, checking for wear, re-building and re-starting a machine. Working with STs on engineering day activities.
- Responsible for the identification & escalation of continual improvement opportunities to the standard ways of working (IPS, SOPs etc, or standard work where deployed).
- Accountable for ensuring the Maintenance Management system (SAP) is utilised effectively.
- Accountable for facilitating the hourly QCDM meeting and responsible for proactive contribution in the 4 hourly QCDM meeting.
- Responsible for collaborating with other MT's and PC's to ensure end to end line performance (within manufacturing environment).
- 90% time should be focused on "Maintain the Standard" 10% of time on "Improve the Standard"
- Proactively escalating to the ST's and shift leadership team for assistance where necessary if issues occur outside of expected capability or role remit.
- Proactively identifies, coaches and escalates where required people performance/behaviour gaps.
- Takes and drives actions based on numerical data and or machine performance.
What we are looking for:
- Ideally experience in a manufacturing environment and/or an autonomous role with some people coaching responsibilities
- Desirable to have NVQ Level 2, GCSE grades A-C, O Level or equivalent
- A motivated self-starter with a desire for success
- Results driven and understands the link between action and results
- Able to deliver in a fast paced environment and working to stretch targets
- Excellent Influencer, capable of taking others with them
- A confident communicator at all levels
- Conscientious and resilient to do the right thing even when no one's looking
- Ability to hold people to account and coach effectively to change behaviours (eg IPS & SOP adherence, GMP)
- Results focused, understands targets
- Can lead others to follow instructions / procedures and work as part of a team
- Ability to maintain standards and drive continuous improvement
- Uses initiative and is capable of solving problems
- Good prioritisation skills
- Motivates others and displays integrity and trust
- Organised and methodical
- Lead by example, demonstrating the key safe behaviours; work safe, report safe, challenge safe, action safe.
- Technical competence in operation or maintenance environment
- Demonstrates basic mechanical competence. Capable of training and coaching others in the changing of consumable parts
- Good understanding and application of IPS standards and equipment optimisation
- Able to follow flow diagrams and interpret equipment manuals
- Understand and be compliant with GCS controls (as applicable to role)
- PC literate in MS Office, Scada, SAP
Salary & Benefits:
- £37,027.26 per annum (inclusive of shift allowance)
- Competitive Pension Scheme
- 23 days holiday (with the option to buy/sell holiday)
- PPE provided by the business
- Staff discount shop
- Cycle to work scheme
- Subsidised Canteen
- Long Service Rewards
We pride ourselves on our superb work force. The people in this business genuinely care about doing a great job! We have a common goal - strive to continuously improve our business performance and our own personal development. With the majority of executive team having been promoted organically, we are continually developing and encouraging our employees to push themselves further and offer them support with their continual learning. Career progression is incredibly important to us and we provide great opportunities to grow a long term career.