Senior Quality Manager
Salary £45k-£50k per annum (negotiable dependant on experience)
Based in Wissington, Norfolk
Do you want to do something that makes a difference?
We are recruiting for a core member of the permanent NFU staff. You will fulfil a role that is unique, mandated by law and critical to the livelihoods of thousands of farmers in Great Britain.
Intrigued? Well… there’s only one company in the UK that processes sugar beet; it’s called British Sugar. So even if a farmer believes they’re not being paid fairly for the quality of the product they deliver to the processor, there’s nowhere else they can sell it. And that makes things tricky.
Which is where the National Farmers Union comes in. We work with growers of sugar beet, and on their behalf, to ensure they are paid fairly for what they deliver - between 7-8 million tonnes each year. That’s a lot of beet, and a lot of money at stake. Which is why we have a team of 14 seasonal staff based in British Sugar’s four factories who monitor every delivery and sampling, and also monitor the analysis of those samples (the basis of what growers are paid).
What you’ll be doing
The Senior Quality Manager recruits, trains and leads the 14 strong team each year, to ensure growers are always paid fairly by British Sugar for what they deliver.
The working year is split into two distinct halves.
During the six month ‘campaign’ - usually from September to March - you and your team will ensure that the many and varied procedures and processes are followed by British Sugar staff. You will also manage the formal review process when growers challenge the fairness of their payments.
It's your responsibility to ensure your team knows what to do and how to do it, so you’ll need to get up-to-speed quickly and be clear and consistent, leading by example.
This is an operational role within the processing sector so experience of all that entails (e.g. health and safety) is critical.
You will be based at the largest British Sugar processing site (in Wissington, near Kings Lynn) but will travel regularly to the other three sites (in Newark, Cantley and Bury St Edmunds) to support your team.
Outside of the campaign period, in addition to preparing for the next one (they come round quickly) there is much more flexibility and the real opportunity for you to increase your skillset and experience by working on other aspects of NFU Sugar’s broad agenda. You will also take the bulk of your holiday entitlement during this time.
The successful candidate will have experience of:
- Quality assurance roles within the manufacturing environment
- Line management experience within an operational environment
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has real integrity and the determination to do the job right
- Is diplomatic and tactful, but persuasive
- Role models daily what good looks like to their team
- Is resilient and able to think and operate effectively under pressure
- Has excellent attention to detail and an analytical mindset
- Is comfortable working on their own initiative and taking responsibility
- Communicates technical and non-technical information effectively no matter what the medium or who the audience is
About the NFU
The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) is the biggest farming organisation in the UK, representing around 50,000 British farmers and growers. We shape attitudes towards British farming and lead the charge on a range of major issues, from climate change and food standards to rural crime and broadband rollout.
NFU Sugar delivers NFU’s specific mandate to represent the interests of all the UK’s 2,500 sugar beet growers in their relationship with British Sugar (the processor).
What we can offer you
Join us and you’ll find an organisation that encourages and enables you to achieve your full potential. We’ll support you in building a career that balances your professional ambitions with your personal commitments.
You can also expect a full range of benefits, including:
- Performance-related pay
- Generous holiday allowance (starting at 25 days + Bank Holidays a year, rising to 30 days with length of service), with the option to buy and sell annual leave
- Additional discretionary NFU holiday
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Access to interest-free loans for cars, bikes, season tickets and driving lessons.
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and shared parental leave.
- Discounts on holidays, gyms, cinemas and insurance products
- Travel loan scheme
- Excellent Health and Wellbeing programme
Our work culture
We strive to represent the NFU’s core values in all our work, so you'll find a professional, resourceful, united and inclusive culture. Whatever your background, identity or circumstances, we'll recognise and celebrate your unique talents. Join us and you’ll find a friendly and supportive team culture, where you can reach your full potential and make a real difference to people’s lives.
We encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
Closing date: 26 June 2022