Growing is in our nature. Over 40 years ago, we started life as a small family farm with a handful of people and a modest range of crops. Today, we’re a global farming and food business working thousands of acres and employing thousands of people around the world to grow, process, pack and market a range of fresh produce.
Supplying our premium produce to some of the UK’s leading retailers and restaurants, we are very proud of what we do and how we do it. With our impressive green credentials, we truly are committed to sustainability, demonstrating continued investment in the latest technologies to help maintain our carbon neutral footprint.
A superb, NEW opportunity for an organised and proactive professional with experience in packaging materials technology, to join our busy Supply Chain Team.
Reporting directly to the Packaging Manager you will seek opportunities, within packaging or process, for reducing packaging costs/waste levels and increasing plant efficiencies. The role will demand working to tight timescales in a constantly evolving and developing environment and being able to work on your own initiative is key.
You will be responsible for managing new packaging development and packaging upgrades from concept to launch ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and defined performance requirements and specifications.
With first rate communication and negotiation skills you will also work to acquire, maintain and develop the supplier base identifying cost and quality improvements in line with continuous improvement.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm (Hybrid)
Key Responsibilities and duties will include, but not be restricted to:
• Identify improvements to packaging formats and capability to enhance the company’s product offer and drive operational efficiencies and cost improvement; such as film micron reduction and cardboard grades
• Co-ordination and management of the introduction of new and replacement packaging and packaging designs including artworks and to project manage these with the support of the Packaging Team
• To work with the Packaging Team towards the strategic development of suppliers
• Work closely with the Packaging Buying, Development and Production Teams to scope out new material specs for all new projects
• Provide packaging technical support during trials on NPD/EPD and report trial results back to internal and external stakeholders
• Supporting the Packaging Buyers with the requests of trials and samples for NPD/EPD projects. To monitor and record
• Investigate packaging rejections and quality defects, recording and then reporting back to suppliers, including monitoring progress of complaints until these are resolved
• Working with the Packaging Team to identify and deliver innovative opportunities to meet recyclability and sustainability 2025 goals
• Support the Technical Team with packaging specifications on new packaging lines and new artwork redesigns
• Meet and exceed company KPI’s
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience
• Experience or knowledge of packaging development and design
• Project management
• Degree level or equivalent or experience in a packaging role – not essential
• Excellent planning and organisational skills
• Strong and effective communication skills
• Numerically Proficient
• Conversant in the use of MS Office applications, email, MRP systems and the internet
• Financial understanding of budgets and P&L accounts – desirable
• Some travel may be required to suppliers – driving licence essential
Why Work for Barfoots?
• Investors In People - Silver Award status
• Company pension scheme
• Life Assurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Benefits Platform
• Development opportunities
• Discounted leisure membership
• Discounted vegetable box scheme
• Cycle to work scheme
• Free onsite parking
• Approved training centre for Highfield qualifications
• Rapidly growing company
• Committed to Sustainability