Junior Development Chef
Days: Flexible day working / Monday to Friday
Up to 40 hours per week / Would consider Part time working for the right candidate
Location: Elsham, between Brigg & Barton-upon-Humber DN20 0NU
If you have had enough of changing shift patterns and long unsociable working hours in the kitchen then this position will be of interest to you. We offer consistent hours Mon- Fri with no requirement to work weekends or Bank Holidays.
It is the quality of our people that has made The Pastry Room successful and a great place to work. We encourage a culture of opportunity and learning where our people gain skills and qualifications to achieve their full potential. We reward hard work and dedication with the following benefits:
· Company Pension Scheme
· Free Onsite Car Parking
· Great dynamic small company culture currently in rapid growth
· Free product sampling opportunities
Due to the growth of the business, we have created a new role and are looking for a capable individual with culinary skills gathered in quality obsessed kitchens. This is an exciting opportunity for a chef with the abilities to test product innovations, work with the factory team to manufacture the products and support our sales team presentations. You will possess excellent communication skills and organisational abilities to move smoothly between innovation, recipe testing and manufacturing operations.
You will be interested in menu analysis and consumer trends to help The Pastry Room identify new opportunities and continue to develop the very best products for UK pub & casual dining customers.
The role will be based at our Elsham Development Kitchen and manufacturing base, reporting directly to the Innovation Director & Co-Founder. You will be given considerable autonomy to work on recipe developments and liaise with the operations team to support them on quality using your culinary knowledge and experience.
In further detail, your key duties will be to:
· Work within defined timescales ensuring that recipes are developed to the optimum specification satisfying customer, commercial, nutritional and process requirements
• Ensure that recipes are recorded accurately and products costed
• Develop cross functional relationships to ensure projects stay on track and meet business/ customer expectations
• Closely liaise with the site team to ensure up to date awareness of customer briefs & critical path requirements. Support the factory team as the product and process expert
• Work closely with Innovation and Managing Directors to deliver new concepts and projects in line with strategic goals
•Support on and off site sales presentations with precise recipe make-up, accurate cooking and great plate presentation to customers and development technologists.
You will receive training in:
Identified areas for personal development
Approaches to Gluten Free product development – pastry, savoury dishes and desserts
Production training on a range of food production machines
Based in Elsham, North Lincolnshire and within travelling distance of Brigg, Scunthorpe, Barton-upon-Humber & Grimsby. You will require your own transport.
- Awareness of food quality standards, CCPs, allergens and hygiene standards
- Ability to work from recipe sheets to produce kitchen and factory samples
- Ability to work unsupervised in a factory environment
- Comfortable to work in factory, office and kitchen environments
- Can accurately enter data into Excel and can create basic formulas
- Strong team player and works for the good of the team
- Flexible; is able to work within a fast-moving environment with change and high expectations
- Demonstrate a genuine interest and understanding of food
Experience and Person Specification
·Catering 3 years experience
·Has good attention to detail
· Good motivational and interpersonal skills
· Holds a full UK drivers license
The Pastry Room develops and produces the very best gluten free products for the Pub and Casual Dining market sector. Our quality frozen and ambient products deliver exceptional savoury & dessert dishes enjoyed by millions of customers every year. Allergen management in hospitality is rapidly becoming critical and the market is growing fast. The Pastry Room is achieving exceptional growth as the market recovers following the COVID pandemic. Our facility is a well-invested and modern food manufacturing plant based in North Lincolnshire.
The Pastry Room do not engage with unlicensed gangmasters or third parties. The Pastry Room will NEVER ask you for money in order to provide you with employment. If you are in any doubt, please contact an official The Pastry Room representative.