New Role: Packaging Development Manager
Salary: Up to 41k plus up to 10% bonus
Protea Recruitment is working with a well-known Food Manufacturer who is looking for a Packaging Development Manager to join their team.
What will this role achieve?
Innovation through product and packaging development, continuous value improvement and consumer perceived Quality superiority vs. competition are critical and key to delivering the business targets. As a crucial member of the factory Technical team, the Packaging Development Manager role is key in developing and delivering the Category growth plan for the client with a specific focus on incremental growth through Packaging. This can be in the form of asset driven innovation and/ or new technology.
What will be your key deliverables?
- Delivery of the agreed Packaging programme, working closely with Marketing, Product Development and Operations to introduce new/improved packaging into production and to drive continuous improvement in costs of existing packaging operations.
- Owner of packaging specifications and implementation processes
- Provide support to sites to ensure delivery of solutions, collaborate with the other Packaging team members and build on their combined expertise in the creation of new Packaging solutions, as the need arises.
- Provide project management documentation and communication for packaging including time-plans and risk assessments.
- Provide packaging expertise to support technical aspects of the Procurement strategic packaging agenda and CBR (cost base released) & VIN (value improvement network), linking to relevant members of the Strategic Material Teams.
- Build packaging specifications in line with project requirements; ensuring legislative and regulatory compliance, fitness for purpose including functional performance related attributes and compliance aspects.
- Lead the creation and delivery of other relevant packaging documentation e.g. cutter guides, pallet patterns, component drawings, general specifications, technical standards, travel tests and results, line trial protocols and reports.
- Ensure all quality testing is carried out for new packaging formats
- Conduct and report on packaging trials at sites, co-makers/packers and machinery suppliers.
- Attend relevant Factory Development Meetings and ensure clear communication of issues and opportunities.
- Develop success criteria and trial protocol improvements with factories for new machinery and materials including acceptance testing for major manufacturing initiatives.
- Runs regular meetings with suppliers and other external organisations to ensure packaging knowledge is continually updated.
- Gathers all project documentation relevant to the site (charters, time-plans, reports etc.)
- Communicates to the sites and partners in all relevant functions, all key information relating to their current projects and initiatives, highlighting any issues. Ensures that the correct project management process, stage gate, is followed for all projects.
- Conducts post-implementation reviews
- Qualified by: HND or higher qualification in Packaging, Engineering, Design or equivalent
- Experience in an FMCG environment in a ‘hands-on’ Packaging Technical role with a proficiency across a broad range of packaging materials and their respective machinery interfaces.
- Sound understanding of: - business terminology, product to market and technical systems, common business tools and databases, Microsoft Office, SAP
- Exceptional understanding of performance characteristics of flexible plastics, rigid plastics, carton board, corrugated & tins
- Experience in planning, handling and reviewing factory trials
- A proven knowledge of Basic Food Hygiene
All qualifying candidates will receive a more detailed job description